Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porch update

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
These guys work fast. The roofer will finish this am - he needed cooler weather to be able to work with the existing roof shingles, as yesterday afternoon it was 90* and the shingles were to friable. I think screen panels are ordered. Electrical and AV guys should be here first of the week.

Hopefully we can start on kitchen area soon.
DSC_0008-1.jpg
DSC_0009-1.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0011-1.jpg

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hey Misippi

Looking great!

Gator
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    looks like a great man cave.. fireplace egg A-V no reason to go back inside. good place to unwind after a day at the anesthesia mine
    what goes in the 'niche' on the house wall ?? the chop saw is superimposed on it in the one pic..?
    thanks for posting the pics
    bill
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Looks great...

When there're done, send them over to my place.

I wish!

Michael
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
  • olemissrn
    olemissrn Posts: 31
    Options
  • olemissrn
    olemissrn Posts: 31
    Options
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    looks cool. nice to see some building in this economic climate!

i noticed that the framing directly abuts the chimney and firebox. not sure what the code is there, and no idea whether there's a working firebox on the other side of the chimney (or how big it is), but i know that in my area, wood framing needs to be held off of the brick by an inch and a half, two inches or so. admittedly, that would be a tricky thing for you to do, leaving it opened.

not nitpicking, just don't want you getting twigged by and inspector. and there might be other things keeping you safe that i can't see. you might have sufficient thickness of brick between the firebox and flue liner too, to keep you inspector happy

in NH where i grew up, we never had any such worry as a "building inspector", certainly not at midnight when the work was usually being done. just would s*ck if you got inspected and called on something that would be a pain to fix

nice room, by the way
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Very nice. Looks like a place you will spend a lot of time in.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Bill, I don't believe it is a niche I think it is one of the brick posts that holds the originsl roof overhang on one side and the wall on the other.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Don't let that ladder fall on your BGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mule
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Birdie, I mean Double bogey, is correct. That is an angle wall with a window from the keeping room. The brick column is to the right. The column will be removed to create a more open appearance, to be replaced by a 4x4 cedar post moved to the right and incorporated into a counter/bar.

Thanks for the complements. The kitchen area is hard to explain. It will be more evident in pictures, when he gets to that part.

This will create almost 500 sq ft of screened porch, inclusive of the original porch.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Jeff,

Thanks for reminding me to ask him about that. I was concerned, but was trusting this guy's opinion as he is a really good contractor. Never hurts to check. The inspectors in this town are murder!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the compliments and comments.

Will post other pics next week when we have more progress.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    chances are nothing would ever happen.

just thinking you might get burnt if there was an inspection. no pun intended
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante