Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my first overnight

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am embarassed to say this, but but even though I bought my first Egg last July (Large) and my second Egg in Dec (Med) I have yet to do an overnight cook.

For tonight, I must confess to being a little bit cocky. I have had no problems with long cooks at slow temps for Christmas and Thanksgiving. For all of my previous cooks it was just "pour it in." For tonight's, just to be safe, I followed the Naked Wiz' advice and cleaned out my Large Egg and then built my fire based on the "remove all lump and replace biggest to smalest." Hopefully, it will work out just fine.

I will update as needed!

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Freddie...You did the right thing with the cleanout! Especially for an O.N.!! Its one thing when you are there to monitor during the day...but overnight (If you want to sleep at all) you did the right thing! ;) Just make sure the egg is stabilized an hour before you go to bed, and you should be able to rest easy. :S (except when you wake up and remember you have the cook going, and you run out in your skivies to make sure all is still ok....) :blink:
    Best of luck with your first OverNighter!! ;)
  • skihorn
    Options
    Oh, Michelle that sound so...never mind, wrong forum. Anyway, so far so good.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Options
    I hope that was just a bad joke.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Cook at 250 dome minimum and periodically check on the temps. If you check every 3 hours nothing bad will happen. If you don't Murphy's Law will slap you along side the head.