Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the range?

Options
Unojo
Unojo Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cook books say low, low medium, medium high, or high heat...

The thermometer reads in degrees F or C...

What is the temp range for say low, low medium, medium high, or high heat on the egg?

Thanks

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Unojo,

Those types of measurements are vague in nature anyway, so I'd be more apt to judge by what you are trying to cook and how, as well as internal temperature for doneness (e.g. a recipe that says cook for 2 hours over medium heat won't get you good results - if you're looking for a rare piece of beef, for example, pull it off the Egg when the internal temperature reads 140 (or lower)).

Most recipes you see written this way are for simple gas or charcoal grills that don't have the ability to control temperatures as precisely as the Egg can, hence the vagueness. Additionally, there is a lot of variability between brands of these devices. Cooking on 'high' on my high-end, 3 burner Weber gas grill allows temperatures up to 550 degrees, while on my dad's PoS $75 Char-Broil, you'd be lucky to hit 400.

If I were to categorize the way I cook on the Egg, I'd break it down as follows:

Low & Slow: Cooking in the 200 degree to 250 degree range, to impart smoke flavor and give the collagen in the meat time to break down. I generally will cook using indirect heat with this method, since a lot of fat tends to render out of the meat, and can be caught in a drip pan. You would usually cook this way for long periods of time, for dishes like pork butts, brisket, or ribs, though I will often cook other things like fish, lamb chops, etc. using this method to impart a good flavor, and then sear them at the end if I want a crispy exterior.

Roasting / Baking: Cooking in the 300-500+ degree range, over indirect heat, simulating an oven. Dishes I might cook this way include chicken (350-450 degrees), pizza (500ish degrees), leg of lamb (350 degrees), bread (350-400 degrees), etc.

Grilling: Cooking over direct heat at controlled temperatures. I typically will cook things this way that I want to char a bit without nuking them. Fish, chicken parts, lamb or pork chops, etc. come to mind. My usual approximation of a 'medium' grill setting is 450 degrees, though I'll adjust this up or down depending on what I'm cooking.

Searing: Cooking direct over high heat for short periods of time. Typically used on things like beef or tuna steaks, where you want to quickly cook the outside, and leave the inside rare. Temperatures here can range from 600 degrees and up.

I know this sounds complicated, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. If you're in doubt, look up a couple of recipes for similar dishes on the recipe section of this site, and see what temperatures people used. For example, if you're cooking a whole chicken, look up 2 or 3 whole chicken recipes, find one similar to yours, and use it as a guideline. Remember though that the Egg is pretty forgiving with cooking temperatures, and that the best measure of 'doneness' is the internal temperature. If you don't have one already, pick up a good instant read meat thermometer like a Thermapen to help you out here. Be sure to calibrate your dome thermometer too.

Hope this is helpful, and not too confusing.

-John
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well said
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Like Stike said,,,,well said but I pull beef at 120-125 for rare/ med rare
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Yeah ... I went with the 'approved' answer for that, with a caveat that you could pull it earlier. My wife thinks that if the cow looks at a fire, or has a suntan, that it is cooked enough.

-John
  • Unojo
    Unojo Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

Scott