Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEWBIE needing some inout

EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I just bought a large BGE on Monday. I have already cooked about 4 meals on it. It works wonderfully. When I went to the store to buy it the gentleman was trying his best to sell me the whole catalog of accessories. I would like to know what would be best to get. So far I have the ash tool and the placesetter along with some BGE cooking planks and fire starters, BGE lump charcoal, mesquite and hickory chips. I will probably use it 2-4 times a week and will cook mostly poultry and fish. Occasionally do ribs & steaks for guests. I would like some input on smoking turkey and chicken and how to use my dutch oven in conjunction with my BGE. Any ideas what else I need? Thank you all very kindly and I am proud to be among all the eggheads.

Matt

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Sounds like you've got lots to get you started.

A pizza stone might be a good addition.

Michael
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    FYI...it is a platesetter :) and I would advise a pizza stone...it can be used for baking as well as making pizzas.... :P
  • Evening All-

I agree with the others, a pizza stone. I have said before and I will say it again. I bought a cheap, and I mean cheap pizza stone at Wal-Mart for under $10 about 6 months ago. Works like a charm. I think the key is to let it heat up with the egg and not shock the stone. So far so good on the cheap stone. BTW, if it breaks now, I would replace it with the cheapest thing I could find.

As for other accessories, certainly not a necessity, but a rib / roast rack comes in handy.

Hope this helps.
  • EggHead09
    LOL plaTesetter....what about for smoking turkey or chicken?

Matt
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. The platesetter is a great component that you will use often (since you asked, I use it leg up to put my dutch oven on for beans, chili, etc)

As for smoking bird...a little advice. Go easy on the smoking wood, poultry absorbs a LOT of smoke, so a little goes a long way. I prefer one chunk of Pecan or Cherry...mesquite overpowers...a little oak is nice. Anytime you are BBQing (reads low and slow) for smoke flavor, you'll use your platesetter or other suitable barrier to keep the heat from being "direct".

Welcome aboard and good cookin!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Check my website linked below for some tips and ideas...and definately check out the Naked whiz's website..also "Watch the DVD" that came with your egg...this forum is the answer to all of your questions
  • EggHead09
    wonderful thank you all for the input! That was amazingly quick!

Matt
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    go to:

www.nakedwhiz.com

and you can find chicken & turkey recipes as well as other recipes + other great information
  • McEggin
    McEggin Posts: 20
    The best suggestion I can give is when you use all of your fire starters, buy some kind of torch or weed burner. MAPP seems to be popular here, but I use propane. Here is what I use along with a 5 gallon tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91037
  • Yep, gotta have a pizza stone.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Over time and use of the egg you will begin to tell what might be next on the Eggsessory list. Remember that you can improvise alot of the items yourself, like many of us here on the forum have. Just keep reading here and you will learn alot about that.

Good luck to you and Happy Egging!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hi Matt, and Welcome!
    Completely agree with the others, a pizza stone is a must (don't necessarily agree with the cheapest one, but that will be up to you!)
    Also, I would go to Home Depot, and buy 3 fire bricks. You can set these on top of your fire ring, then place your grid on top of the bricks, to give yourself a very inexpensive option for raised grid direct cooking. (to get the meat further from the coals, especially for chicken....it helps avoid the char)
    I would also invest in a 3rd hand, and, if you intend to use your Dutch Oven often, a spider is excellent for DO cooks on the egg.
    To make this post longer.... :whistle: in summary:
    Pizza Stone
    Fire Bricks (Home Depot)
    Third Hand
    Spider
    Just my two cents! Again, welcome!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Here is a post that Grandpas Grub put together for newbies.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609888&catid=1

There is an extensive recipe section on the Forum under the cookbook tab. Also the Naked Whiz's site as well as thirdeye's website have good recipes.

Also look at www.dizzypigbbq.com for good recipes.

Turkey:

Buy a non-injected whole turkey. Carefully lift the skin from the breasts and as far onto the thighs as you can go with your fingers (do NOT punch holes in the skin). Make a paste with EVOO and Herbes de Provence (add a little salt). Rub paste under the skin and the completely on the outside of the bird. Cover in plastic wrap and leave in frig overnight. Get BGE fire going for an indirect cook (either upright roaster or v-rack) and platesetter. If you have a big turkey (>15 lb) you may need to remove the fire ring and place the platesetter (legs up) on the fire box. Let turkey sit out for an hour to come to room temp. During this time cover the breasts with a large baggie filled with crushed ice. This will keep the breasts cooler than the dark meat, so they won't overcook.

Cook at 350* until 170* in the thigh.

Cover with foil and rest on cutting board for 10-15 minutes. Slice and be prepared for the accolades ! :woohoo:
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Hey, I very much enjoy all of the abovementioned eggcessories. I also love my 18 inch cast iron grate.
    It's great for steak and chicken breast. I also love my Weber 21 inch grill brush.
    Have Fun!
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    I can't believe no one else mentioned it, A Guru! Of course you are having a lot of fun playing with it right now. But in a few months, and when you are ready to do some lo and slo, get a guru. It pretty much turns it into an oven. Light and power up the guru, dial in your temperature, and walk away!

Another suggestion is Gloves.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    :laugh:
    couldn't resist.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Aside from the pizza stone I like the cast iron cooking grate. It works really well on steaks and chops, for that good sear.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    :huh: :ohmy: :laugh: :woohoo:

Thought the same thing :whistle: