Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Pulled picnick butt

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wifes been on me to do some pulled pork so after the Oak chicken decided to do what I could to stop the spread of swine flue! :P
Keeped it simple a little DP Swamp venium and good coating of Gates.
Spring09april19077.jpg

Started up the Egg at 22:00 yesterday and set the "Q" at 250 ramp for a meat temp of 190. Woke up to this at 10:00 this morning just like magic.
Spring09april19087.jpg

Spring09april19080.jpg

I'm including a few pics to maybe help some one with clean up. I just take a big alum. pan just a little smaller than a sheet of tin foil and make a one piece liner out of the foil then make "wings" off the tray to catch the side drippings and funnel them into main alum pan. After the cook just wad up the foil and the pan is still good and no mess on plateseter. Clean grill and your done.
Spring09april19089.jpg

Spring09april19090.jpg

Spring09april19091.jpg

Also a shot of the lump left after I pulled the pork at 194 internal after 14.5 hrs. Probably had another 2 or 3 hrs burn left
Spring09april19092.jpg

I loosly broke up the butt while I was cleaning grill and putting up "Q" to let it cool some b4 pulling and then went to work.
Spring09april19095.jpg

Spring09april19096.jpg

Spring09april19097.jpg

Will have several meals off of this as well as feeding the two guys at work with me tonight and some to my parents.
Spring09april19098.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like another fantastic cook! Great recycling tip too.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Lookin good! :) How may cookin orders did you end up with from the work BBQ event?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Great looking cook, JL. :woohoo:

I have only done the butts, never a picnic, but that looks pretty good to me!

Hey, today I was starting to put a spinal in a patient when my pager went off 3 times, then my cell phone rang. Thinking it might be serious, I pulled off the gloves and saw it was my 83 y/o father on the phone. I answered and he said it was an emergency. Concerned I listened while he told me he was starting a butt on his Egg and had the Guru set and couldn't remember how to set the openings on the Daisy wheel ! LOL. I was relieved it wasn't a medical emergency, so since it was my Dad, I had to go ahead and tell him what to do. At least the patient was sedated with amnesia-causing meds and comfortable-only took 2-3 minutes. :woohoo:

2 hrs later he called back saying the dome temp was 400, the Guru was alarming (pit temp set for 280). After quizzing him, I found out he had a direct cook going with the pit probe clamped onto the grid. Had him take everything off, platesetter in, legs up, spacer, drip pan, replace grid and butt, clamping probe onto meat thermometer. No more calls, so I guess it went OK. He's only used the Guru a coulpe of times, and although a fantastic gardener, he ain't much with electronic gadgets. :lol: :silly: Gotta love it !

Funny story, I imagine at 83 I probably won't remember all the details either.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Jl,
    I guess Jake's getting camera shy. Goo dlooking pork!
    Brian
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    good job,
    Is it possible to put some close up pics of your "q"(not sure of correct word) and an explanation of how it is set up and works please.

Thanks
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    looks great ... glad to see i was keeping watch over the cook... great job not melting the aluminum. too..
    swamp is not too hot for mrs. jl?
    bill
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    Good looking cook JL. Also I understand your company gor some good news today, That great!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Looks great JL...your cooks always make me hungry.... :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Like you said, JL, just like magic!! I have 17 lbs. of bone-in picnic that I bought yesterday - now after seeing your pics, I am really excited to get it on the egg.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Aww...C'mon Clark! He is 83!! Gotta allow a bit of a technology learning curve!! LOL!! At least he's still trying!! :woohoo: And more power to him!! :woohoo: :laugh: God Bless your Dad! :lol:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Great looking Butt JL

Ross
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I'm proud of him for trying to use the Guru. When we first gave it to him for Christmas a year ago, he was so hardheaded he didn't want to use it the right way or he wanted to "argue" with it. :laugh:

He still does things HIS way. We just have to slyly make him think it is "his way". LOL

He told one of my brothers that "Clark was trying to grow tomatoes in one of those 'box things' " - (my Earth Box). He just couldn't wrap himself around that. He grows hundred of tomatoes (heirlooms, etc) from seeds every winter in his greenhouse and competes to have the first tomato on the vine. He already has several small ones on some kind of tomato that was developed in Czechoslovakia (bred for cooler weather)! Gotta love him!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job JL! Great way to do your part against the swine flu!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    J - As always, a wonderful looking cook! :) I think the pork could have been a bit more tender though...that bone looked like it had SO much more meat on it!!! :silly: :woohoo: :whistle: As usual, beautiful job!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Big'Un...You're bad.... :ermm: That's how bad rumors get started!!! :S :huh: :pinch: