Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hoisting the egg (and redwood cart finish)

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
egghoist1.jpg
<p />Because:
a. We're refinishing the deck
b. I just got my new Egg and cart
c. I put everything together so I could cook on the Egg
d. Now it's time to break things down to finish the deck and cart[p]I rigged up a hoist for the Egg to lift it out of the cart so the finishing work can commence. Notice that it's a block and tackle to lower the effort to raise it - but it's still darned heavy![p]I took the top off the Egg because it didn't seal properly when I put it together, and my felt gasket burned :-([p]But customer service is sending me a new one! :-)[p]I'll post a pic of my finished cart after this one - Happy 4th of July and hope all your Eggstravaganzas are perfect!

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    cart1.jpg
    <p />Here's the picture of the redwood cart finish. I googled the groups for "redwood cart finish", and decided upon Watco Danish Oil Finish. I'll have to reapply this every year or so but that's not a big deal - just wipe it on, let it sit, and wipe it off. The cart is on a covered deck so the weathering shouldn't be too bad.[p]Happy 4th!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    chuckls:[p]Watco is the best. I think the formulation has changed to meet government regulations and may not be as good as it used to be, but it is my favorite. The secret is to apply more than one heavy coat, let it penetrate a bit and wipe up the excess and let dry before applying the next coat. An excellent product choice for your application.
    [/b]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    chuckls,
    That's a great looking cart! Be sure and put something nice under the egg so it doesn't burn the wood as well as something in front of the vent to catch the "shooters" out of the bottom vent.