Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

on the road - Outback Steakhouse last night

glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm traveling this week (no egging till Thursday night when I get back) and stopped at an Outback for dinner last night. I tried their new beef tenderloin that they say is seared then slow roasted. The waitress told me they cooked it for 24 hours??? Unless they used an easy bake oven, I don't know how they could cook it that long.

Anyway, it was downright awesome! talk about melt in your mouth. I'm definitely going to try this out, any ideas on how to get it so tender? Perhaps its the cut of meat they used, but it was VERY tender and tasty.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    24 hours??? I don't even cook my chili longer than 4-6 hours.

Does this sound like what you had? 2 hours rather than 24 sounds good to me.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/good_day/recipes/whats_cooking_recipes_outback_031609
  • glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    thats what i was thinking.... this was beef, not pork. not that pork is bad :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Its possible they slow cooked it sous vide, then seared at a high temp. It is a process where the raost is put into a vacuumed bag and submerged in precisely controlled water. Charleston Dave has one of these devises, maybe he'll chime in. -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i love their soup!!

not when it is loaded potato but just when it is the onion.. it used to be called walkabout..hard to get it anymore without it being loaded potatoe.. i had a friend who worked at outback and who cooked the soup write the recepie down i need to type it in to the computer but it has been a few years since i had the recepie in my hands :blush:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Hmmmmm. Something sounds fishy....I slow cook whole tenderloins, but not for tenderness, just flavor.

The two times a year I eat at Outback, I usually have the chicken Ceasar and a Tanqueray martini (which come in enormous glasses). The bonus is that happy hour is two for one and they serve the Tanqueray Ten.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Just ordered one myself for tonight's dinner...while on the road as well.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    I had the sirloin and stuffed shrimp tonight, and you are right it is scrumptious :woohoo: ! They have changed their menu and portions to have meals more in line with the current economy. A sufficiently sized meal at a reasonable price. I think that it is a win-win situation.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Ever tried the RANGPUR???Lovely,only need ice.It is distilled with RANGPUR limes. :whistle: