Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to light egg in rain?

Options
andy_b
andy_b Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I have owned my Egg I have only used the electric starter method.

On Friday I am having a party and want to use my Egg but it may be a very rainy day here and might not be conducive to plugging in the electrical starter.

What other methods could I use? I am looking to build a 350 degree fire.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Paper towel lightly soaked in EVOO or some other cooking oil. I stress the term lightly. Bury it in lump and light. I use a mapp torch which I believe is one of the best methods.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi, just twist a couple of paper towels and drizzle with some vegi oil. crisscross them under a few small pieces of lump and light the 4 ends. open the top daisy wheel and the bottom vent fully and close the dome, just give it a few minutes to get going. works great and this is how we do it camping and such. :) Julie
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You can try the oiled paper towel trick or just go down to Home Depot and get a Map/gas kit and go for it. It comes in a yellow cannistor. :):)
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Smoked-Moon
    Options
    My egg-master and i always use a paraffin/woodchip fire starter. 3 under your firebox to get'er ripping for grilling or 1 split up 4 ways laid in your top lump for low temp smoking.

the shotgun shaped lighter wand is the classy extra.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    propane torch, mapp torch, weed burner, papertowel and oil, parafin fire stater, fake fireplace log chunk, dry birch bark, pine needles and kindling, newspaper and lump in a chimney starter, use the electric starter in a dry location and move lit lump to egg, lit anthracite from the coal stove, etc... (you havent used your egg in the rain yet :ohmy: )
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    for the record, i think he should only pick one of those. doing all of them at once like you suggest might require him to wait a while for it all to burn off. otherwise, great advice!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I could only wish for rain...

aprilshowers.jpg

Rick in Mt
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    A lighter mood around here today :)
  • BigGreenTree
    Options
    MAPP and haven't looked back. Keep some used lump around to prevent sparking and you're golden.