Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If/When buying a cast iron dutch oven...

GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
should I get one that has the feet on it or no? Thanks.

Comments

• I don't really see any advantages to one that has feet. It seems like one more thing that could break, although that's probably not likely.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have a 9 qt no feet for my large and a smaller one for the small think 5-6 qts. If they have feet they sit still on the plate setter and give an air pocket. I usually do my DO cooks direct so don't matter. Perhaps Celtic Wolf has better observations.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It really doesn't matter which you get. Though I think the regular dutch ovens are cheaper then the Camp Dutch Ovens.
  • I can get a good deal on both...I pass the Lodge outlet in South Pittsburgh, TN about once a month.

Thanks for the input.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It depends on how you plan to use it.Leggless works better on cooktops.The egg will accomodate either.The ones with the leggs are designed to be used over open fires like a campfire,same goes for their tops that are designed to hold hot embers on the top for even cooking.Unless you are planning to do a lot of "CAMPFIRE" cooks,I would choose legless with a dome top and a "BAIL" handle. ;)
  • If you are only using it in the BGE - no feet. The feet are designed to hold it up off the ground to keep embers under it, like Hoss said. If you get a Lodge, splurge and get the preseasoned. Saves a few hours and it works well.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    For the egg only, get a non foot and use the grid or spider to hold the DO.

If you are going to use a plate setter or pizza stone all the time then the camp version would probably be better as it has the legs for a stand off.

I don't agree much with using the plate setter or pizza stone. For hundreds of years folks have put DO's in the fire or have put briquettes, burning wood, hot ash on top and bottom of the DO's.

On the egg I really like using a ceramic cast iron DO.

Remember no lids on the DO's. If you use the lid you may as well put the DO in the oven or get a Volcano or just use briquettes. Kind of like taking a shower with a rain coat on.

My favorite set up is the spider with the 12 qt flat bottom DO.

doroast4.jpg

When I use a smaller DO I use a 14" stainless steel deep dish pizza pan to hold the ceramic cast iron DO - no spacers.

chili1.jpg

Here are the end results of both cooks.

7 hour cook
    doroast7.jpg

5 hour cook
    chili2.jpg

GG
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    GG what is that you are cooking? it looks GREAT.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    When cooking on a grill I would think the feet would get in the way trying to fall threw the spaces. When I cook on the platesetter I place 3 small rocks between the cast and platsetter to create a little air space like feet would do. Doesnt seem to scoarch on bottom as much.IMHO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    i use both, my vote is for the camp with the legs because the cover is usable as a griddle, the regular dutch comes with spikes on the cover to aid in basting which is not needed in the egg. now i would dump either of those choices for an enameled version.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Pot Roast recipe is in the recipe section and also here. Dutch Oven Pot Roast

And, Chili which is pretty close to the recipe egret has.

Both are easy and great cooks.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I didn't even think about suggesting using the lid as a griddle which is a good idea. I ended up grinding the legs off of my DO's with legs.

I like the enameled cast iron the best.

GG
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I have the Lodge preseanoned without feet, it works great on the LrBGE.
    and thanks Grandpas Grub for the update.