Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I,m doing a brisket for the first time for the 4th. I got a 12 lb. whole brisket and need help with how to cook this thing. Time, temp, foil or not, fat cap up or down. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great 4th everyone.
Scott

Comments

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    smokeapig,
    Me too - I'm going to try my first brisket as well. I looked at the link on the dizzy pig website and it has some pretty good tips. I'm still a little unclear on how long it should take (per lb) and at what temp to take it off. Is 200 internal too high? If anyone's out there we could use a few pointers! Thanks.[p]

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig Brisket[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    smokeapig,[p]I'm doing an 11 pounder myself tonight. I cook mine at 250°-275° indirect (plate setter/drip pan). I pull my briskets at 195° internal temp. Some folks go to 200°, but I prefer the texture at the slightly lower temp. When you take the brisket off, wrap it in foil and place in a warm cooler or in the oven (without heat) for AT LEAST one hour before slicing. IMHO, the foil rest period is critical. As far as time is concerned, briskets are pretty finicky based on my experience. I've had a 14 lb. brisket take 10 hours and a 10 lb. brisket take 16 hours. I generally plan for 1½ hours per pound. The brisket can be left in the cooler or oven for quite a long period of time with no adverse effect on the finished product.[p]Best of Luck,
    Jim

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thanks Jim - let me ask for one more piece of advice if you don't mind. I have a 10.5 pounder and we're going to a July 4 party at 5ish tomorrow. Would I be ok putting it on tonight and cooking overnight which would bring it off some time in the a.m. and then let it hang out in the cooler for maybe several hours? I guess the alternative would be to get up before the chickens and get cooking, but if it turned into a longer than expected I might be screwed. You're the caterer - what would you do? Thanks dude.

• JSlot
    Options
    You should be fine, CW. I have left brisket in a cooler for ~6 hours or so and it was fine. Maybe better than usual. LOL! Just make sure you "warm" the cooler first. Pour in some hot water and let it set for about 5 or 10 minutes. Then dry it out real well and place a clean, folded towel under the brisket and one over the brisket. It'll stay hot for a long, long time. One thing you do want to do is to make sure you wrap the brisket really well and be careful not to puncture the foil. That juice in there is magic and you don't want to lose any!![p]Jim
  • Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,
    thank for the advise. I,m big on pork shoulders but never tried to tackle a big brisket. I'll give it my best shot.Thanks
    Scott

• Unknown
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I was really thinking about cooking it just like a would a pork shoulder but I think i,m going to find getting the time down right to be a big challange. First time for everything. I'll post the results tommorrow night. Have a great and safe 4th fellow smokers.
    Scott, Jonesboro, Ar.

• JSlot
    Options
    Anytime, Scott. I'll be putting my brisket on at about 11:00 tonight, so I'll be slaving away over a hot Egg, too. That's what we gotta make 'em think, right? LOL![p]Jim