Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help A New Egger Cook Pulled Pork and Ribs For Fourth

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGE owner as of this past Saturday. I just cooked for the first time tonight. I made strip steaks the TRex method and had the absolute juiciest steaks I have ever had in my life. I guess when you sear a steak at 750-800 degrees you keep the juices in that piece of meat. Anyway, I am now ready to tackle a butt roast and some ribs for the fourth. I am going to cook the butt low and slow at 200 degrees overnight and was wondering if it is okay the next day to put some baby back ribs on to cook at the same time. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    New Egger In Alpharetta,[p] Look up Elder Ward's method of cooking pulled pork in the archives. I used it for my 1st cook and the results were just amazing. The key here is to follow the instructions to the tee. If you don't have a placesetter, use fire bricks to build the setup.
    I think 200 degrees is way too low for a cook. Try to reach a stable "DOME" temp. of 250. That way, the grid surface will be approx. 225. You're looking at a minimum of 2 hrs. a lb. for any butt over six lbs. If under six lbs. give the meat three hours per lb.
    As for the ribs, put them on a minimum of six hours before the butt is finished. When finished, wrap in aluminum foil and cloth towels and place in preheated cooler til its time to eat. The meat should stay hot at least two hours. Enjoy your fourth of July Celebration!!! I have to work... Mac

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Egger In Alpharetta,[p]I agree with Mac, the Elder Ward recipe is great except that the 200° he talks about is "old school" and the newer consensus is to cook at a dome temp of 225-250°.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    Just curious.. why does under 6lb take 3 hrs a pound and a larger roast 2 hrs a pound?[p]

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Nardi,
    Jim Minion brought this to our attention a few weeks back. It has something to do with the breakdown of the fat in the meat. The smaller cuts will cook faster and not render enough fat out in the 2 hr/lb. cooking range. I took his word on it before my last cook. He was right. Just remember, these cooking times aren't scientific. When that pork pulls easily, it's done.
    If you have any other questions about this, try to get Jim's attention. He's been cooking this stuff alot longer than me and holds a wealth of information about cooking times, fat breakdown, etc. Happy and safe 4th to ya, Mac [p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]I have also found this to be true and I added a section (near the bottom of the page linked below) about it a couple years ago. I used butts under 5 lb and those over 7lb on the page. The butts between the two weights seemed to be able to do something in the middle and they could go 2.5hr or 3hr per pound. I am not sure why it is so, but I would agree with Jim about it.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Pulled pork on the Bge[/ul]
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    TimM, If it wasn't for this forum and great sites such as yours, I would not have been able to answer his question. Thanks for all the knowledge on BBQ that you have contributed from your site!! Those cook time/temp. graphs are most impressive!![p]How has the Outer Banks fared the last few days with the storms? Raleigh just got a lot of rain. Happy 4th! Mac