Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribeye and a filet cave man style??

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good write-up on cooking cave man style? I'm intrigued by the idea of cooking a steak this way, but am looking for some guidance. My goal is med-rare, but I'll eat it however it comes out, ribeye is wonderful... My wife likes filet, so this might not be a good time to try it, what I've read is that you should use a fatty meat (I think)???

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Make sure you use kosher salt! Go for it!.. Take pics please. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Image5-1.jpg

832900ae.jpg

a8f53e1f.jpg

I couldn't bear to go 100% in the coals, so I cut a piece of stainless expando and laid it atop the coals for my experiments.... I guess you could say I was within 1/16" of caveman cooking. The best tip is to use a welding glove on your tong hand. I didn't really care for it, the technique or the end result. I'm just a regular grillin' guy when it comes to steaks.

22800752.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Glousteau - Like Thirdeye, I have not yet had the b@lls or desire to put a steak directly into the coals. I have been told by others that they are excellent, but they have also admitted that they are truly black charred on the outside. That's not a flavor that turns me on...but to each his own! :blink: I'll remain a sear on grate griller...until somebody else sacrifices their own piece of meat I can try caveman style. :blink: :woohoo: Just my two cents....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    One of my welder buddies came from Pittsburgh, many of the menfolk in the family had been steel mill hands. He's made me the traditinal mill workers lunch of "black & blue" steaks, (cooked in a hot pan) crusty on the outside and just warm on the inside. The technique is similar to blackened, just not as spicy....I didn't really care for those either.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I do it every once in a while. My steak's are usually store bought about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. About 90 seconds on once side and 90 or a little longer on the other will end up medium rare for me. A thermopen read will let you know where you are at.

Here are some fajita's I did a while back.

90 seconds per side.

Fajita.jpg

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Grow a set.. They are good.... :woohoo:
  • glousteau
    Options
    Update... aint gonna happen tonight, wife said she's starving and not to mess around with an eggpseriment. So I'm just gonna sear em real good and enjoy.

thanks for the tips though, I will try this at some point. I love a good sear on my ribeye...
  • glousteau
    Options
    btw, thanks Thirdeye! I got the tools earlier this week, love that thirdhand, gives me a place to put the grill while lighting the coal. Tried it for the first time just now.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Wow, I guess that's what a real T'Rex looks like!
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    glousteau wrote:
    btw, thanks Thirdeye! I got the tools earlier this week, love that thirdhand, gives me a place to put the grill while lighting the coal. Tried it for the first time just now.
    What is a thirdhand? Sounds like something I need, as I hate laying my grid on the stone of my grill center. It always leaves an annoying stain.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks glousteau!!