Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mustard on brisket?

ajw1976
ajw1976 Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many of you use mustard to hold the rub to your briskets? Does it really help? I am planning on smoking one for the 4th and I'm trying to figure out if I should use it.[p]Also, I have read about some who use Coke/Dr.Pepper to baste their briskets. Have you tried this? Would you recommend?[p]Thanks for your advice.
Anthony

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    ajw1976,
    I like to use mustard on brisket and pulled porks. It help the rub stay on better and also gives it a better bark (crust). The mustard dissappears and leaves no flavor.[p]~nikki

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    ajw1976,
    I'm in as a mustard user
    brisket, pork, beef roasts, chicken, catfish

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Count me in on the mustard side.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    ajw1976,[p]I'm a mustard guy too. Mustard helps the bark form too ... I think. I have used coke as a rib baste and think it would work on butt and brisket too. If you do it, I'd lovet hear of the results!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    ajw1976,
    Guess I'm in the minority here...a non-mustard user. From what I've heard/read, the mustard is to help adhere the rub to the meat. I lightly rub with olive or cooking oil.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    ajw1976,[p]I'm in between, LOL! I always use it on ribs, but only did it for the first time on a butt this past weekend. Usually with butts, I spice up the meat the night before and wrap tightly in saran wrap. Then the next day when I put it on the cooker, I apply a little more fresh rub and on it goes.....I've never had any problem with the rub adhering to the meat, since it pretty much soaks up everything I put on it overnight. [p]QBabe
    :~)

• Nailed two briskets a few weeks ago with a little different method. Night before I put them on I coated with mustard, used some Paradise Ridge rub and then added a bunch of black pepper, wrapped in plastic wrap and put in refer overnight. When I put the brisket on I then hit it with some coarse dizzy dust. Gave on to an old time expert brisket eater that declared the best yet. I think the combination of four layers of various spices and flavor might have done the job. Wish I could have turned it in.