Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three Butt Results

bobSTL
bobSTL Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried a Triple butt cook last night. From the thread about my pizza cook, I learned a few things from all the good help here. I started out cleaning out the egg. Taking everything out, making sure all was clean, and putting brand new Royal Oak using big chunks first, then filling to the tip top of the fire ring. I lit the lump with alcohol (I use 99% pure) three spots, it lights well!! I let the Egg get stable at 250 with the computer hooked up.
Here is the start of my cook.
butt1.jpg

Learning not to watch the temp for hours on end is a hard thing. ( Its gone from 250 to 260, now it’s back to 245, now it’s up to 270) this is without messing with a thing . Near dark, I gave up watching, and went inside. Checked on the Egg around 10 pm, and all was well, just cooking at 250.
Got up at 6 am (put them on the fire at 5:30 pm last night, that is a 12.5 hr. cook) and went out to check them. Temp. was 185 on two of the butts, and 170 on the third. Lump was almost gone, and dome temp was 230 with the blower going almost all the time. I took the butts off, and they nearly fell apart as I put them in pans. Took them inside and “pulled” them. The two 185’s pulled like pulled pork, the 170 came apart in shreds. This seems right from what I have learned here. The lower butt finish, the different it will behave when pulled.
My question is, can I do anything different next time to get the temp on the butts up to that magical 200 degrees?
Thanks for the help.
Bob (working on Pizza and Butts)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Curious what brand of lump were you using?

By the looks of your picture I would have to say - more lump.

Plus 195 is a rule of thumb that should be adjusted up or down accordingly. If the meat pulls easily it is done.

The one you said was in the 170's that should have been left on to finish.
  • bobSTL
    Thanks for the advice, I was using Royal Oak USA.

I had to get to work, so I couldn't let the 170 one finish. Nest time, I think I will just try one and see how it does.
    Bob
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    You can also toss the butt in the oven to finish it off if you need to.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    You didn't say how much they weighed. Usually count on 1.5 -2 hrs per pound.

I did two 8 pounders a couple of weeks ago. They cooked 15 hours, reached 205 and 207* respectively. I had lots of RO lump left. Cooked at 225 grid temp with BBQ Guru. Closed the fan opening to 1/2 open. (Dome was roughly 240-250*)

I layered the lump (larger to smaller pieces). I filled to within 1 inch of the top of the fire ring. Lit using napkin/oil technique is 3 places. Drip pan w/o liquid. No platesetter. When finished, the fire box still was full of lump.

I think:

1) Not enough lump
    2) Maybe a little too hot a start with alcohol?
    3) A longer cook to get to 200*

Sounds like it turned out OK and the suggestion of finishing in the oven is a good idea. Hard to mess up with the BGE!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The last major cook I did with Royal Oak was a real disappointment.

It was the first time I ever had to re-fill my eggs to complete the cook. It was just one. I had to refill all 7 of them.

Next time I will not forget to bring my Wicked Good Lump.
  • bobSTL
    Thanks for the advice on the Wicked Good Lump.
    I will start hunting for it here in St. Louis.

I also think the advice on the oven is great.

Just served it for lunch here at work. Put it on Buns with some Cole slaw and didn't get one complaint.

Yes, the Egg is the best thing that I have ever cooked on, but being an ex-Gasser, it takes awhile to get the hang of this way of cooking.
    Thanks again
    Bob