Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead

Options
cupboy
cupboy Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well I guess I'm now officially an Egghead!

Yep, my wonderful wife bought me the large Egg for my birthday.

I'll be firing it up tonight for the first time....

Any Suggestions on what my first meal should be on it???

Mike

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Mike. You'll find a great group of people here. Like none other anywhere! :blink: :laugh:

Happy Birthday! Your wife is one smart lady. Gave you a great gift and put some of the cooking in your hands. LOL.

As for your first cook, I'd search the forum for some of your favorite foods and go from there.

Good luck,

Gator
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    Happy Birthday Mike and welcome, this site is awsome. I did chicken breast for my first cook as I figured it to be a simple cook plus I wanted to keep the dome temp low for the first few cooks. Good luck and you will find something to egg.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Cedar planked salmon, roasted garlic mashed taters, and root beer carrots. :P
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken! Simple, juicy, impressive, TASTY!

spatch.jpg
  • cupboy
    Options
    excellent
    thanks guys.....I love this forum already
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Get any accessories with it, such as platesetter or grill extender? Those greatly expand the range of foods you can cook. For instance, spatchcock chicken is easier to do with a raised grid, so the bird is not quite so close to the coals.

If you've got a tin pie plate, and a half empty beer can, beer butt chicken can readily be done from the basic grate position.

Do watch how your fire develops. Once above 350, it can rise really quickly. On my third cook, I had beef short ribs briefly at 750. They were, ah, a little crispy.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Happy birthday and sounds like you have a great wife. As for the first cook I would do whatever your wife wants. You want to keep her happy as it won't be long before talks of the 2'nd egg come up :woohoo: :S :laugh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welcome!
    What have you been cooking on up till now?
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction... :P

Chicken seems to be a popular first cook. But it really does not matter because what ever you choose will simply be better.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • cupboy
    Options
    5 burner vermont casting gas...yeah yeah i know... gas....
    also have a Weber Kettle Charcoal grill....but I always found that hard to cook due to the temperature control...
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    congrats,,,,my first cook three weeks ago was hamburgers. unbelievablly great. next cook was ribs, then steak, then chicken, then pizza, then wings,,,,,,do you get the idea that you can cook anything on it... enjoy.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• cupboy
    Options
    so i used it for the first time what a blast!
    lots of fun!!
    temperature control was a riot....love bringing it up then dropping it down...

question: I always heard that when you closed all the vents top and bottom it quickly extinguishes itself....well when i closed everything i went back out like an hour later and it was still 200 degree and when i opened it there were red hot embers still in there...

is that normal?