Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Search of the a Great Smoker

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing this product but unfortunately I am unable to see it as I am located in Michigan. Looking for feedback on durability and it's qualities for smoking foods as well as grilling.

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    James,
    Actually there are several places in MI that feature the product. Marshall, Rockford and a couple in the Metro area. Mail me And I will explain further. I have three and they are GRRR...ATE!

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    James,
    OK, boys (and girls) let me take a swing at this one.
    Over a year ago I wanted something that was capable of better BBQ than my Weber kettle. Nothing against the Weber, but I wanted to do real low and slow Southern Q. I looked at offsets and found that the inexpensive ones had terrible build quality. I looked at Brinkmans and was unimpressed. I did look at Weber Smokey Mountains, and kinda liked what I saw.
    Then over in the corner of the BBQ Galore I saw this funny looking green thing. I went over and looked at it. Then I looked some more. Spoke with a salesman who actually knew about eggs and he sent me to this website. I read and read some more. I liked what I read. So crossing my fingers that I had not made a mistake, I plunked down the $$ for a large, daisy wheel, nest and ash tool. Big bucks make no mistake. A hell of a lot more dead presidents than the WSM. Brought it home and started to cook on it.
    I can't think of anything that I have cooked on my egg that is not superior to the same dish on my Weber Kettle.
    I found that I can sear a steak at 750+, or cook a pork butt for 20 hours + at 200 degrees.
    In the past we used to go out for a BBQ meal once and a while, we don't anymore since we have found the restraunt food is so far inferior to what I make at home. All of my friends now think I am a great chef, and will come over anytime I ask as long as food is involved.
    My wife loves the egg, as it gets me to cook dinner at least 4 nights a week.
    Let's see, I got back into town on Sat and did not eat dinner.
    Sunday was 2 chickens splatchcocked (butterflied to you) brimed and roast to wonderfulness plus corn on the cob.
    tonight is shrimp to start, and them burgers.
    Tomorrow is steak
    Might do a set of incredible baby backs on Wed.
    Thursday I'm not sure maybe salmon and Friday I will smoke a 20 Lb turkey that has been in the freezer.[p]One hint, start an excerise program now, you are gonna need it.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    James, you are in the land of Julie Appledog, Fireball and several others who have even had a MichEGGan Fest. You'll get all kind of feedback eventually from folks in your area. They can been seen and even sampled around your area.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    James,[p]Buying a BGE was hands down the best money I ever spent. In fact, it affected my life in some ways that I never even considered. I mean, hey, it's just a cooker, right? WRONG! Cooking on the BGE has not only made me look like a pro, but it has made friends, family, and complete strangers extremely happy on too many occasions to list here. Oh, and speaking of friends, I have met some of the finest folks I know by conversing here on the forum and attending numerous Egg functions. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not only will the Egg do everything you have read it can do, but it also brings people together! Can't have a much better testimony than that for any product, IMHO. I will go out on a limb and prematurely welcome you to the fold!!! LOL![p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• James,
    Where in Michigan? There are several in Detroit area that I know of. Picked mine up in Atl and brought home. Best cooker investment that I made. If you are close contact me and i can share additional views about this great egg!

• James,Not only is it a great smoker, it is the best baking oven, best grill, and best low temp cooker. You get better bread and pizza than you can do in a brick oven, smoked casseroles, smoked chili, and appetizers with a taste you will not believe! And when the power goes out in a winter snowstorm, you can keep cooking no matter what the outside temperature. Good luck!

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    James,
    Wow we bought an egg and no regrets. This grill has never let us down on a meal. Smoked anything is wonderful. The beauty is how it cooks and keeps low-n-slow temps. Have you searched in Mi for a dealer. I had never even heard of them until our newspaper did a whole spread on them. I was sold after reading it. You wont go wrong.

• James,
    The praise that you are seeing here is valid. My biggest concern was how it would hold up to winters in Minnesota. I'll admit I don't use it nearly as often in winter as I do in the summer (once/twice week vs almost daily now). A few years ago during a holiday season cold snap I still was outside at -24F below, grilling T-bones on Christmas Day. Year round I have no problems maintaining temperatures/smoking.grilling etc. Weather is not my biggest concern. Ambition to be outside in the winter is! You will not regret your purchase. I was torn between a Med/Large & got the Large about 4 years ago. I was happy I chose the large, as for smoking turkeys (twenty plus pounders) the bigger birds are a tight squeeze vertically at times.
    I'll leave you with one thought. Consider it an investment. Gas grills can be dirt cheap around $100 or so all the way up to $3K or more for some of the top of the line Viking /other brands. I went through two gas grills & one H2O type smoker before I got the egg. I wish I would have found it sooner!

• Gatortail
    Gatortail Posts: 9
    James,
    The Egg has somewhat spoiled my favorite BBQ restaurant. I would always go and get the pulled pork platter...but after doing pork butts on the Egg...18-20 hrs...it is somewhat a disappointment having their pork...they still have the best baked beans I'm still trying to figure out!

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    James,[p]I'm confused. Your profile says you live in Texas and have two BGE's. Am I missing something.[p]I have a cottage in the ST. Joseph county area and would be glad to cook ya somethin.[p]Confused as usual.[p]Mick

• MickeyT,[p]Anyone who enters the name James will then become the James who is listed in the profiles. Doesn't have to be the James who actually is the one in the profile. That's the way this
    works, I guess.