Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Earth Day Everyone

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or would that be Merry Earth Day?

Anyway....be sure to do your part to save the world by firing up your natural hardwood lump charcoal powered outdoor cooker instead of those indoor units that waste fossil fuels, destroy our environment and atmosphere, and lead to global climate change.

:pinch:

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    I'll use any excuse to fire up the Egg and have a drink. :ohmy: I think tonight I will turn all the lights on in my house in obsevance of Earf Day. That way everyone will know "I care".

Gordon
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    As luck would have it, I'm going to attempt three butts tonight for an employee.....
    I just want to save all the tree huggers out there!!
    I'm using USA Royal Oak
    Bob
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I promise to do my part for global warming by keeping my eggs at 300 or below for tonights cooks B) but pizza's are on for the weekend :ohmy:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    As long as you aren't using any South American brand lump where they are clear cutting the tropical rainforests and treading on the sanctity of the breeding grounds of many endangered species.

Poor little sloths.....where will they do their "sloth love"? Won't anyone think of the sloths?
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Those who are my friends on Facebook may have already seen this, but I was tasked by my CEO group to articulate a core belief in 300-500 words. I enjoyed the exercise and thought that on Earth Day it would be appropriate to share (I'm speaking it to my peers tomorrow).

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe in the renewal that I experience from time I have spent in nature. To many, nature is a place of uncomfortable temperature extremes, encounters with arthropods and carnivores, and an unnecessary departure from creature comforts. In reality nature can be that way - I have slept on the ground in -3 degree temperatures, stood between an angry bear with a wounded paw and a food-filled backpack, and spent four days hiking in constant rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow. I believe that in fact it is those very experiences that renew me and provide a sense of both respect and appreciation of nature.

It’s no mystery where my love of nature had its beginnings. My family began camping vacation trips when I was about five years old. We drove approximately the circumference of the Earth to such far flung destinations as Maine, Northern Michigan, North Carolina, and various National Parks and Forests in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. At the age of 19 I took my first backpack trip in Colorado by hiking 30 miles over four mountain passes of over 12,000 feet elevation. This developed into what has been a lifetime of backpacking and close encounters with nature. These encounters have been a balance of physical exertion and discomfort with joy and a sense of purpose. I recently stumbled across a diary that I kept during a 1983 trip into the Snowmass Maroon Bells Wilderness. What stood out was how uncomfortable I was during much of the trip – a wet sleeping bag from excessive rainfall, cold temperatures at night, and blisters on my feet from hiking in wet boots. At first glance the words in my journal indicated that I was unhappy. In reality I clearly remember returning home with fabulous memories and a strong sense of accomplishment. Time that I’ve spent in nature, whether it be hiking or camping has instilled in me the following beliefs:

#1) A shower can be a religious experience after days of backpacking with little to no personal grooming.

#2) Time loses a great deal of importance in nature. One’s daily activity is driven by need: you eat when you’re hungry; you sleep when you’re tired. On one backpack excursion I was into the third or fourth day of a seven day trip which took me dangerously close to civilization. I encountered several day hikers, one of whom asked me if I knew what time it was. My response was: “Hell I don’t know what day it is”. I wasn’t carrying a watch and had honestly lost track of time.

#3) My time spent in nature affords me time to reflect, particularly under star-filled skies. There is great mystery of the vastness of the universe. I believe we as a “civilized” nation have lost much from being unable to see and reflect upon the millions of stars in the sky due to air and light pollution. I remember being enthralled as a child to see the Milky Way, numerous constellations, and satellites crossing the night sky. My suburban existence as an adult has robbed me of that joy and wonder.

I believe that nature helps ground me in my place on earth. My role is not to conquer or be isolated from it. Rather, I see myself as a caretaker, a participant, a defender of those last great places on Earth.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Nice job Roudy. Sounds like they chose the right one for the task.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Outstanding Roudy, always nice to find someone who thinks very similarly to ones self. I have been a student of the Great Outdoors all my life also and share in many similar experiences.

Gator
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Rod,

Sloths should be cooked lo & slo to help render the fat and tenderize the meat....lol
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Happy Earth Day to you also Fidel and everyone else here. I think everyday should be an Earth Day but realize that might be a little extreme for some. As they say, "It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness." :)

Gator
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I absolutely love the outdoors and am looking forward to going camping this weekend. A absolutely despise those that lie, use bad studies, scare kids into believing the world is going to end, and believe "consensus" is more important than actual science.

Tonight I'll be smoking a pork belly for some bacon I cured! I might even use some tongs with plastic on them made from crude oil.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't know you are joking, but it actually is far better to use lump charcoal than to use, say, coal or LP gas. or electricity from coal powered plants.

lump is renewable. the carbon in your lump was in the air as CO2 maybe fifty years ago.

but the other stuff all comes from carbon that's been locked away for a few million years, and is basically a net add to the system.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm gonna celebrate just like last year.I'll unplug my laptop for an hour :silly: :lol: (unless the battery dies) :P