Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, long time listener, first time caller. Just got my first egg a couple of days ago and for the first few days simply enjoyed trying to get him as hot as I could as fast as I could and doing steaks, now I’m trying to figure out some temp control. Am I right in assuming that once you get ‘em hot it is next to impossible to get it back down to a slow cooking temp? I’m having trouble lowering once I get a high temp. Is the key to kill the air flow AT the desired temp, as opposed to getting it all juiced up and then trying to get down to the temp you want?

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Jigm,[p]I believe you are very close to the concept of "low" form the way you explained.[p]The only thing I can add to what you have already said is to start choking the fire down "before" it reaches the desired temp.[p]I usually start within 50-75* of my target and work with the bottom vent only to get stabilization at the target temp. as you approach the target close it down to about 1/4 inch and work with it from there in small increments.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Jigm,
    As Bob said, make the adjustments when you get to 50° BELOW your targeted temperature. I'd add that if you're shooting for 225-250° that you make sure that your starter cube isn't getting you to that temp and not the lump. I've noticed on mine that the starter will get me to around 200° then the temp will drop back to around 100°. If I adjust the vents then, it takes forever to get back up to 200°.[p]Shoot me an email.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• I was just about to ask that. I find that I'll get up over 200-250 just from the lighting process. [p]Thank you kindly for the help guys.
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Jigm,[p]Bob and Kelly have offered up some soild advice and has you going down the right path, but I'll add my .02 as well. I know what it is like to want to just fire up the cooker and go, but learning how to control the fire is key. It is really like running a pot bellied stove if you have ever done such. The more fuel burning and the more oxygen being supplied equals hot or very hot fire.[p]I suggest starting with a handful or two of lump and get it burning. Leave off the top. I personally do not use a top like the slide, daisy, or dual slide/daisy top for most cooks. I leave it wide open for all cooks except pizza or if it is raining. Once you have established a fire, start shutting down the bottom vent to a bout a 1/8th inch. Give it about five minutes to stabilize, check the temp and add the daisy/slide top with the daisy opened fully. Wait five minutes more and check temp. Take top off and then open bottom vent to 1/4 inch and repeat the procedure above. Keep going 1/8th inch at a time until you get the cooker up to 500º plus. The start closing down the vents like above, 1/8th" at a time, but allowing ten minutes to stabilize between making changes. [p]By doing this you will get a pretty good idea of how to control the fire for future cooks. Keep in mind that when you open the cooker, you are allowing the fire to get additional oxygen. This is when many folks let the fire get out of hand, especially when using the daisy/slide to choke down the fire from the top. Your vent settings will change once you put something on the cooker, but usually opened a little more to get the same temp as you achieved testing empty.[p]Something else to consider is say you want to grill some steaks and burgers for the evening meal. You also want to start a overnight cook for a Boston Butt as well. You would want to start a fire with a couple handfuls of lump and get it going to grill the steaks/burgers with. Once you are finished grilling, close down the bottom vent to within a 1/8th inch and allow to come down in temp while you are eating. Open the cooker, add your smoking wood and then add your additional charcoal to fill up to the fire ring. Allow to come up slowly to your target temp and the acrid smoke to settle down. Then add the food to be smoked overnight. You may have to make a couple more adjustments, but I usually don't. This method works very well for me and has for sometime now.[p]It is very helpful to learn your cooker and above is only one of many ways to do just that. This is what I usually suggest to clients that purchase a cooker after seeing me use one on their guide trip with me. [p]Ashley
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Ashley,

What kind of a guide are you that allows you to feed your clients off a BGE? Sounds like my kind of job!! Mac

• Zip,[p]Your post is good advice.
    When you use the daisy wheel what kind of cooks do you use it for?

• Zip
    Mac in NC,[p]Freshwater Fishing guide, but I'm taking a break for a while. [p]ashley
  • Zip
    Tater,[p]I really don't use it for anything other than pizza and breads like pita and cuban. For most any other cook like low temp smoking the chimney is fully unrestricted as well as med temp cooks like chicken and high temp steak and chicken cooks. If it is raining I use a vent cap to keep the rain out.[p]Ashley

• Zip,[p]Thanks. I'll give it a try without the daisy wheel on some easier cooks to get a feel for how it works.