Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas for a first cook? Don't really want chicken, but some food that will illustrate the value of the egg for my skeptical wife.

Comments

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    neweggor
    Thick pork chops are good for starters. Don't forget to season. Prime rib roast is excellent too. We just bought ours about 2 months ago. It is fantastic. Anything you cook will turn out great. I needed no convincing. The food just tastes better. Pizza's yummm. Don't need to heat up house. Looking forward to stews and such when it starts to get cold here. Have fun

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />neweggor,
    Well, spatchcock chicken is really a good way to demonstrate the egg. The chicken comes out with smokey flavor and very juicy. But steaks are great for a first time cook because they are easy to do and turn out quite well. Here is a link to TRex's steak method from my website:[p]TNW

[ul][li]TRex Steaks[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    neweggor, Before buying an egg, I noticed many comments on this board about spatchcock chicken; how incredible it was etc. I cooked it first.My wife took two bites of our first eggsperience, got up from the table and came over and gave me a kiss. She said "buying the egg is the best thing you have ever done!" It was a great demonstration of the Egg's capability.

• Unknown
    Options
    neweggor, personally, I would go with steak, and the T-rex method is UNBEATABLE. Just make sure you understand the flashback syndrome before you take the Egg to 750+ degrees.
    That's the only reason I might consider doing chicken wings or thighs instead, depending on your skill/comfort level....you can't screw those up no matter what.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    neweggor,
    you could simply do burgers, dusted with kosher salt and ground pepper, and your wife will tell you that they are the best, juciest burgers she ever ate. .. but if you want to really impress her, do what others said below and go with the trex steak method. . .make sure you get at least two inch thick sirloins or tenderloins. . .simply coat them in olive oil, then kosher salt and pepper. . .you will never eat steak out again. . .[p]enjoy. . .trust me, she will love it, and will be glad you got the egg. .. no wife is as sceptical as mine, particularly when it comes to 'boys toys', but she is definitely a believer in what i do on the egg. . .[p]