Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Rice Old School

Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
During the mid and late 70s I spent a few years in the south pacific in the Air Force...during that time, one of the staples of folks there was fried rice, a dish originally conceived for use of leftover rice and other ingredients much like many 'leftover' dishes we have here in the U.S...for years after returning from this area of the world I craved this dish and tried on a number of occassions to copy it.. well..by jove..I think I've gotit!...this was 2nd go around and I'm pretty sure this is one of the best rice dishes I've ever eaten...wiffie says it better than what we had 'back in the day'...
Started by usin the gratemate spider in the SBGE...
FriedRice009.jpg
JL's 'The Raws'...
FriedRice007.jpg
That lil container in the top center is my 'secret sauce' that took so long to come up with..I can tell you what it is..but then I gotta killya B)
Nearly done...
FriedRice011.jpg
Servin Time!!...
FriedRice012.jpg

This is truly a one dish meal although a few eggrolls on the side ain't bad!...Love the wok on the egg!! :woohoo:

Comments

• Yeah, Eggtucky, I am going out right now to buy that wok....... that looks better than any Chinese place can come up with!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Looks good.

One of my cookin' buddies was born in the Philippines, (they were a military family too). His mom got a recipe for something similar that I call NorcoMomRice. Theirs uses smoked bacon, and naturally Norco jazzed up the original by adding some jalapenos. I add a hair more garlic to mine and use Tamari instead of regular soy sauce.

dsc02429aL.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggtucky
    yeah TE, you're pretty close..the Phillipines is where I spent 2 years, so sounds pretty similar, the secret is the sauce added at the end and what it does to the rest of the 'raws'... ;)...I'll give you a lil hint..try usin just a bit of 'Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce' from Huy Fong foods, mixed into the Tamari sauce, that'll get you close!
  • Eggtucky
    you gotit Faith..you cannot buy this stuff in any cantonese or chinese establishment! ;) ..oh..and the leftovers..this stuff is made for re-heatin!! :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    Wow, that's deju vu......Norco's calls for adding the sauce to taste toward the end too.

I like playing with some of the natural glutamates, and exploring the umami. So, in the spirit of "learn what you can and share what you know" .....anytime you want to spill the beans on your sauce feel free. :)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Eggtucky
    Well how can I deny one who has shared so much with this community...actually, I've pretty much given it to ya...1/4 cup tamari and 1 tsp (or to taste)of the huy fong hot chili sauce or if you can find it..chili-garlic sauce..the other thing is the rice...we let it sit in the fridge for at least 24hrs and there IS a specific way to make the rice...
    Rinse the uncooked rice (1 cup)in a sieve until the water runs clear, this removes much of the starch that makes it lumpy..bring 2 cups of water, 1T of evoo, 1t of kosher salt, and 2 cloves garlic to a boil while the rice drains then add the rice, cover and reduce to a simmer...cook for 20 mins w/out opening the lid..fluff with a fork and cook a bit longer if it seems too moist..(this is basically the Dino BBQ perfect rice recipe, but it works perfect for making fried rice ;) ..there..20 yrs of experimenting in a paragraph! :blink:
  • thirdeye
    Cool. And thanks. I have both of those chili sauces, I'll bet that is a nice back flavor. I also like the addition of garlic to the rice, never thought of that.

I think a batch of this is in order for this weekend.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Ohhhh yeah, your fried rice looks super good, that's comfort food.

I'll be right over with something to drink. :lol:
    BGEwokcooking0011.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yea that is my next venture!!

wok!!

i love fried rice we have a place here that puts sprouts in it and i think it is better than sliced bread!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    yeah..try the garlic, it really kicks up the flavor of the rice and the pre-wash in sieve I think really makes a difference too ;)
  • thirdeye
    b3d235df.jpg

Formulating a plan right now. I have a neat carbon steel pan, sized just right for my Egg.

b802d186.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~