Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DISAPPOINTING DEALER EXPERIENCE

GREG
GREG Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to a "dealer" today to get a chiminea.
First, the short stand for the chiminea does not properly hold the chiminea-it moves all around when the screen is opened or put back in.
So I asked if we could try it in a large nest. They had no idea that the chiminea fit in the nest. I had to get the catalog and show them. They had to put a nest together so I came back a couple of hours later and the chiminea was in the nest. The chiminea did not sit properly, but I figured out that a paverstone placed under the chiminea should make a tight, stable fit.
The chimney did not seat properly on the body of the chiminea. It was obvious there was a problem. I asked if they would order me another chiminea. The "dealer" said NO, that they had two of them for two years and they would not be ordering any more. I asked "would BGE not replace this one since there was an obvious problem"? He said probably not and BGE was difficult to deal with. Then he added "they are all probably made from the same mold and another chiminea would probably have the same problem".
They also were not aware that the mini cooking grid could be used on the chiminea. Once again, I referred them to the catalog. I left chiminealess!!!

Comments

• Glad that retailer's business was so strong that they could afford to blow off a customer who walked in willing to drop coin on a chimenea today. Unbelievable how some of these retailers even stay in business. I think the ones like this, who will have to earn business, won't make it through the current environment. BGE may be interested to know that this dealer isn't fully supporting the brand and alienating consumers.

Disappointing indeed. Really unbelievable.
  • GREG
    AGREED!!! I was really looking forward to having the chiminea on my patio tonite. I was blown away that their "grill expert" did not know the features of the product or care to get me what I wanted. I even offered to pay in advance if he would order me another one that didn't have an obvious problem. It was apparent that the chimney didn't seat properly and could easily fall off. It is likely an unsuspecting shopper will topple the chimney and solve the problem for the dealer. It was much nicer in the nest. A much better fit than the short stand.
    I will try another dealer and see if I can order one. I don't understand why the dealers don't stock the chiminea. It is, although pricey, a nice piece that compliments the egg.
  • That is a shame. I am fortunate to have great dealers in the area. How much does the chiminea go for now?
  • It is pretty bad for a customer to know much more than the dealer. I am sure that the Mother ship would like to know of the negative reactions of the dealer. I have found that they do listen and do act on negative impact situations.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    customer to know much more than the dealer that is sooo funny!!1 i walk into my local dealer and talk to them and they mostly know nothing (at least my local dealer knows nothing).. everytime i walk in i half expect them to tell me that the "propane tank hooks in somewhere i am just not sure where".. i walk in wearing some kind of BGE t-shirt and they still act like they know something.. that is why my dealer is two hours away and when i walk in it says "world headquarters" somewhere in the building :laugh: :ohmy:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I should have said typical customer. Not the present company. :laugh:
  • BENTE
    well if they all had a idea of the knowledge that is right here...... they would actually have something to tell the customer that is true ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Most of the employees at my dealer have Eggs and know them inside out. As I said I am fortunate to have a good dealer. But I would think that the dealer that had 2 chimineas on the floor for 2 years would know a little something about it.
  • GREG
    Maybe I should make the four hour drive to GA and do my shopping. Can you actually purchase all BGE items at the Mothership?
  • BENTE
    well it sounds like they have had the same two so they can't know too much :whistle:

i agree with you tho ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yes and they are the most grateful people to work with.. they always love a good customer.. maybe someone on here is near you and can tell you where there is a good dealer.... so where are you?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• From the sounds of it he may have them 2 more years.
  • GREG
    They had actually sold one. The "grill expert" said the one they sold was in the box so he didn't know if it was defective as was the one left on display. I am more than disappointed that I didn't get to purchase the chiminea. I checked with another dealer a few more miles away and they quoted a price that was $100.00 more than the dealer I visited. Of course, they didn't have one in stock and couldn't tell me when I could receive it if it was ordered. Maybe there is not enough profit in the BGE products for them to be eager to order or stock to make Eggheads happy.
  • BENTE
    :laugh:

true!! just cause he does not know the answer ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GREG
    I am in TN. I will be calling BGE on Monday to see if I can purchase directly from them. I will be glad to make the drive to get what I want and what I am paying for. THANKS!
  • BENTE
    see the problem is and the dealers proabably don't know it......

but my understanding is that when they cast a piece of ceramic the atsmopheric {sp} conditions affect the casting process more than you would think.. too much or to little humidity will cause diffrent pieces to come out slightly diffrent.. thus they do not lighn up properly.. if you are 4 hours from the mothership it is well worth the drive over just to see the place and you can also pick up a chim.... {sorry too much bourbon to try to spell the rest)!!!!!

you can also see the wharehouse and get a feeling for the surrounding area cause come october you will want to be familiar ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    where at in tn i have a real good buddy of mine in murrfesborough that bought his stuff from the mothership and he went to them and told them he had a problem and they helped him out so there is a possibility that they are closer.. i have also been to a dealer in chattanooga that the fellow i talked to was really knowledgeable so that might save you two hours there

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Pretty clear you were not dealing with Smitty the Smoker, my dealer.
  • GREG
    I am near Nashville. I have been by the dealer in Murfreesboro a few months ago. Anderson's. They are VERY nice people. I had them order some non-egg items for me. They even had it shipped directly to me. They just don't stock much BGE stuff and I hate to order something and it be like what I saw today, since I would feel obligated for having them order it and it not be what I expected to receive. Like the defective product I saw today that the "dealer" said BGE would not make right with them.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I can tell you that this "dealer" who say BGE won't make things right is full of BULL. I've been working with the Mothership for 2+ years and they are great. I personally take my friends who want eggs there, just so they can meet Bobby and the gang. Seriously, it sounds like you have some real wahoos up there so I'd make a call to confirm the chiminea is in stock and I'd make the drive. Well worth it!
  • BENTE
    i have never been ther myself but my friend (who i have known since i was 4 (i am 37 now) said they were some really good people. so i was thinking about that 4 hour drive there and 4 hour back.. (and it is proabably a little more)... the mothership is a fun place to go..

ok there are people who are here and they have heard this story before but you proabably have not::: me and my wife have been to the last three eggtoberfests.. although i have had my egg since 02 and had been going there for years because i used to work for a auto auction that gave away eggs as prizes for their dealers. well i was the rep for atlanta for several years so i was the guy that went and picked up the "door" prizes of bge's.. well long story short the guy that helped me load my egg into my car the first day is in reserch and development for bge now.. i have bought several eggs from him and another guy who worked there then.. long story short in 07 when we went to the fest my daughter was only 3 weeks old when we went

here is a pick from that saturday

parkerbente.jpg

well back to the story that friday we went to the meet and greet and my wife was still breast feeding the baby and went to the port-o-potty to feed parker and as soon as she got settled someone beat on the door and my wife left the port -o -potty with my daughter still hungry she came up to me and told me what happened.. i told her wait a min.. went and got my buddy john and told him the story .. he told my wife to follow him at that moment my son had a spell of mommy itis and asked if he could go.. well john took my wife back to a private bge bathroom so she could feed the baby and while she was busy he took my son on a tour of the warehouse on a golf cart.... i was pretty bummed cause i have not been given the tour :angry:

how much better of a company would you want to work with?? :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    ted!!!!!

when you bringin my onions???

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GREG
    Great story and point taken, Bente. I am sold on the product. It's just hard to get around here with dealers that don't stock the product. So, off to GA I will go. I have a fishing trip lined up there in June, so I may have to wait until then. I am headed to Hilton Head next month, but I don't think my fishing buddies would be up for a GA detour for BGE.
  • BENTE
    well at some point you also have to ask yourself .... do you really need an outdoor heat source now??? summer is fast approaching so i don't think it could hurt to wait :P

BTW welcome to the forum you have come to the right place to get some bge knowledge ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I'll buy a big bag the next time I'm there. They only had a 5 lb bag late yesterday PM when I stopped in. The onions are being harvested now and will be packed over the weekend so they can begin shipping on Monday. I promise to get some in a few weeks. I'm looking out for ya! :laugh:
  • GREG
    True Bente, about the heat. But it's still cool at night, and we all love to play with fire. Right?

And the onions. Vidalia? My favorite. My neighbor is taking orders for 10# bags for a fundraiser. Can't wait to get mine.
  • Bente, do you have some pics of your table? Is that tile on the top?
  • BENTE
    well ted i did not even think you and i could get together on them because of the lack of NGE "meetings"... sure do miss ron he was always really proactive.. would ask for everyone to come here but think i would only see a few :( hate living so far from "The Heartland" :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea here is one from when it snowed

03-01-200923.jpg

this was from when it was warm :silly:

Picture.jpg

the picture you are looking at is from when i cracked my egg :(

crackedeggthurs003.jpg

i had the lid off replacing the stock gasket with the nomex

crackedeggfirday004.jpg

here is what it looked like when i was done

crackedeggfirday009.jpg

notice the dome is the only original piece of ceramic.. that is how good the mothership is!!!

i don't have a table yet but stay tuned B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    My two cents is that BGE needs some contact with dealers to keep them informed of issues, changes, and marketing strategies. As it stands now, there is none and all contact is left up to distributors who may or may not care to push the BGE or educate their dealers on how things should be.