Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butt are better than one?

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to the butcher to pick up a Butt for smoking. I asked for one in the 6-8 lb range. He told me all he got on the last shipment was smaller onr (4-5 lbs). He said he'd tie two bneless ones together (7 lbs final weight). I bought it, but now wonder, do I cook it as I would one large butt?[p]Smokey

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I'd cook them seperately, but then I like the crust on the outside meat. I prefer two smaller butts because that gives me more crust, but you may disagree. I prefer two smaller ones to one big one also because there is less cooking time involved.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Smokey,
    If it is tied together like one big butt, then I'd say yes, it is going to take about as long as a single large butt.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I have found that they will cook faster, if there is no bone.. Your best bet is to allow enough time for cooking... It doesn't hurt a butt to be wrapped and left in a cooler for a few hours. It allows all of the juices to settle in the meat.

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I have found that they will cook faster, if there is no bone.. Your best bet is to allow enough time for cooking... It doesn't hurt a butt to be wrapped and left in a cooler for a few hours. It allows all of the juices to settle in the meat.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokey,
    I would cook them speratly but forget about 2 hours a pound rule of thumb, connective tissue takes longer than 6 to 8 to break down.
    Jim

• Smokey
    Options
    Scottie,[p]Will be cooking Saturday night and having guests after 12 (my tennis group). I plan to take if off the egg before I go to play, place it in a cooler and pull before we eat. May pull it earler and have it raedy to searve.[p]Smokey
  • Smokey
    Options
    RG,[p]That's an interesting thought! I'll look at them when I rub them down![p]Smokey
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Allright, another tennis player! I do what you are describing every year when I host my tennis team's annual post-season Tournament and BBQ. Butts go on the night before, and I take 'em off before I go play. Put 'em in a cooler wrapped in foil and insulate w/towels (if there's space in the cooler.) Of course, sometimes they aren't done before I go play, so I just leave 'em and take 'em off later (since I have to come back to get the ribs off the cooker anyway.)[p]Works great, and the guys love to finish up the day with a bunch of beer and great BBQ & sides![p]Do you play recreationally or competitively or both?[p]Rich G.
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Jim Minion, I am planning on doing a couple of small butts next week;3-4 pound range each. If the internal temp reaches 200° in say 6 hours, are you saying that I may need to leave on longer? How will I know when to take off the BGE?
  • Smokey
    Options
    Rich G,[p]Just play for recreation now. Used to play ALTA, but it bacame a pain in the butt (no pun intended).
  • Unknown
    Options
    CR,
    No not really, if the internal temp gets there in 6 hours then it's more than likely done but in most cases connective tissue needs more than 6 hours to break down. On small tough cuts the 2 hour rule of thumb may not be a good guide for timing purposes. The 2 hour per pound guide works best on 6 pound and bigger pieces.
    Jim

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Two butts are definitely not better than one...take my dear cousin ..Betty "Backyard" Bouchardie..[p]It was late summer of 99, and the circus was in town..and when that happens we get all kinda kinfolk visitin'us..and this time it was Betty and her momma (kinfolk from my mommas side) that stayed with us for the whole week. Sometimes it's nice havin kinfolk visitin..sometimes it ain't..depends on the folk I suppose..but this time..only a day after they arrived..I started noticin somethin that just ain't right. [p]I had gone out to the outhouse..on accounta there was some pressure buildin south of the border what needed fixin..and as I sat there on that most comfortable of places..I seen.. sittin on top of the wood planks..just on the left of me..something what looked suspiciously like one of mommas special fine chocolates that poppa gets her come Christmas time. Curiosity got the better of me..but..I didn't have to lean over very far to find out that this was no chocolate..least not the kind I ever seen..and if'n it was ..somebody had already done got to it before me.[p]This went on for 2 more days..sometimes that chocolate would be on the left..sometimes on the right.. ..before I finally decided that I'd have to find out just who was leavin me them there used chocolates. I got up real early and tol momma I was goin down to the creek for some fishin..but what I'd done is snuck out round back of the outhouse, and I just waited..it only took an hour before I realized maybe knowin who was leavin them chocolates was overrated..cause I had to get a pretty good look..and it took 3 folks before I found the one what was doin it..only good thing come of the first three is I know now that I'll probably get momma a new shaver for Cristmas this year..nothing like knowin what someone really needs first hand.[p]The problem came when Betty waddled out to the outhouse..and as I sat quietly and waited....the reason she waddled became obvious almost immediately.. she slowly took down her pants..and then she bent down to take off them funny little undergarments..that's when I saw something what I didn't think possible..at first I got scared..cause I thought I seen something starin back at me..till she stood back up..and that's when I realized what I'd seen..poor Betty she'd been born with an extra somethin' what most folks don't even want one of..she had two butts..and I think maybe the worst part of it was what I seen next...[p]Betty got this real funny look on her face.. she seemed to be tryin to figure something out in her mind..and then she sat down..and that's when I realized that both of them butts seemed to be in workin order..and that maybe what Betty was thinkin about hadn't worked out for her..cause as she sat there.. her left butt over the hole..and started puffin up like you read about..that other one..unfortunately..the one now pointing in my general direction..decided that it autta be goin first..and that's when I seen..something what I'll never forget..as that second butt..started to go to work..and in an instant..Betty's eyes got as big a half dollars and she made this little squeeling noise..and with amazing speed..which can only be gained with years of experience.. switched the position of them there butts...but not before ..to a sound not unlike a potato hitting the ground..an escapee had entered our airspace.[p]Ahhh..unfortunately, in the excitement at finding the culprit I gasped..and immediately was seen by Betty..who screamed until all the other kinfolk came runnin. I sure had a lot of splainin to do..and it was really at the expense of poor Betty..who's double endedness was fully exposed..and I mean that literally..cause once folks heard the story..they all wanted to see..it..causin Betty to finally give in and expose this item..I remember her standing in the bright sun..leanin over..as we all stood behind her..starin at this thing.[p]That's when poppa decided that if'n we're gonna get visitors what have these problems..we prolly autta have what he called a two holer..and he went up to Betty..and got entirely too close to her business ends..and with his bare hands.. he started measurin the distance between the centers..and within..15 minutes..poppa had cut another hole in the outhouse ..announcing the new two holer outhouse. The next day...we all gathered round to watch Betty use that new two holer outhouse...the smile on her face was priceless..and as we heard the dull sound of 2 items simultaneously hitting bottom..a smile of pride spread across poppas face..and we all clapped....ahh..what memories....[p]Ahh...the life of a Stump...[p]StumpBaby
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]I seem to remember a cousin talking about and "unusual woman" named Betty with some attributes he adored. Could it be . . . ?