Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I get bread dough to an eggfest?

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to make the dough in the bread maker. It will go through the initial rise. I could then freeze it or refrigerate it. Which is best?? I have a 3 hour drive to the fest and plan to go Sat morning.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    slingshot....

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Carrier pigeon? :woohoo: :evil:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What kind of bread?

I would probably refrigerate it right after the kneading is done, then let it rise Sat morning on the way to the fest.
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    I'd say do it Fidel's way. Then I'll be there to sample the finished product. ;) I'm looking forward to some good "egg eats" come Sat.:cheer:
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Here's my recommendation:

Make the dough in the bread maker, and as Fidel says, take it through the kneeding stage. Pull it from the bread maker, and let the dough rise until doubled (60 to 120 minutes?). Shape the dough and then place it in the refrigerator overnight. (I don't use a bread maker, so make any adjustments as you see fit. The important point is to let the dough enjoy an overnight fermentation in the frig.)

If you have a 3 hour drive on Saturday, place the shaped dough in a cooler for the trip to the Eggfest. The dough can stay in the cooler the entire trip. Typically you'll need about 1 hour to take the chill off the dough prior to baking.

Have fun!

Puj
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    You're right on with that advice, Puj! That's the way I do it when I bake bread at fests.......
  • egginator
    Thanks,

I didn't want to have to freeze it, but I thought it might go a little crazy overnight in the fridge (who knows what's going on in there!)

Ed
  • egginator
    Thanks, I was afraid they would over-rise and then not have anything left when I made the stuffed buns at the fest.
  • :laugh: levitate to OKC :woohoo:
    no, just jokin'
    I'd mix, bag, put in fridge, then let it rise on the ride over!
    did I tell you about the time my granny (Nannie) let the bread dough rise in the back seat of the car while we went shopping??? Well, in South Texas Summers, the temp can get a might warm...can you guess??... yes, the back seat was covered in dough :woohoo: :whistle: :woohoo:
    turn out great, though, as usual since she was such a great cook :kiss:
  • egginator
    I live in Dallas and had a coke explode in my car because it was so hot. It aint Seattle that's for sure.

Ed
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Hmm..

I'm not much of a dough maker but...

How much amperage does the maker use?

I would use a DC/AC converter and make it in route, let it sit, punch down, then move into a cooler with ice?