Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After Over Four Years It Was Time:

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I did all right after four years with my large, with out having to change my gasket. Thanks to Bubba Tim he turn me onto this gasket, and Sparkys help also. This is the gasket I finally decided to use.

100_0410.jpg
The Gasket
100_0405.jpg
The Cleaning
100_0406.jpg
Close Up
100_0407.jpg
The Install
100_0408.jpg

100_0409.jpg

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    It looks like new Easter Egg... :P
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Dang Mike what did you do to get he inside so white?
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That is one pretty looking and clean egg:) Looks very happy! Nice job.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    JoJo I filled the egg up to the top of the fire ring and open the bottom and nothing on the dome and let it go all day, it cranked out over 750 degrees and let it go. :laugh: Also thew in my pizza stones and plate setters and they came out white also... It's like having a new egg now.. :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks great Mike :woohoo: I'm glad that I could help(a little) :lol:;) That one should last you a while ;)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    So far so good with the Nomex on the Lg and same with the original felt on the XL. I have looked at those and considered them. We will see how this nomex holds up. That looks like a pretty heavy duty Gasket though. How much if any will it shrink up?
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Thanks buddy again, this gasket will with stand up to 1100 degrees.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Bubba Tim has been using this for awhile and there is no shrinkage, what also is nice, it is self-adhesive and no mess like you get with glues and epoxy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how's the hinge working? looks as thick as the rutland, which most of us put on the bottom only because a single thickness equals the regular felt double-thickness.

nice stuff, you should sell the rest in prepackaged lengths. hahaha

...not sure it's any safer than the rutland (if folks are worried about fibers), but it looks good. ...i have a non-felt, non-nomex soluition too :whistle:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    Mike-- Nice meeting you at the Ocala 09 fest. Fact is we pulled up to your camping spot, we were in a white mini van. Asked you questions about the eggfest and you showed me your mini. Where did you buy the gasket and adhesive,shortly mine will have to be replaced.:)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Hey Stike, the hinge is fine now I had to make some adjustments no big deal. They told me this is non toxic and thats one of the biggest reasons and the self-adhesive, what made me choose this one. I do have two other eggs to do down the road, but was told I should sell kits for everyone. ;)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    How you doing, was good meeting you also. This is where I got the gasket.

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/395-397.pdf
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Yes sir it is all set for tomorrow. See you guys in Waldorf, drive safe. I will be leaving maybe next Sunday so will be with out puter till I get back.
  • stike
    Options
    the rutland and felt are non-toxic too.

the fibers that folks worry about aren't about toxicity, but their coming off and getting into food or even somehow breathing them in.

i personally don't think the risk of that happening is very high with either the rutland or cotronics. especially after a while when that nice white gasket is suitably gunked up with a nice homemade goo. hahaha

glad to hear the hinge issue was ok.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Looks good Mike. I'm putting a rutland on the small now.
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    Thanks for the response and the info. That BGE looks new. Did mine last week, burnt for 2hrs did not come as clean as yours looks.

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Stike I don't know if you know about my neighbor, but I am waiting till tomorrow morning to fire up the egg to burn off any lose figers first before I put food on it,and stoke it with lots of wood for smoke and let it go. I will fix his day.... :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    it's ceramic. if you can burn the fibers off, you'll be melting the egg, too.

har har

it's gotta be spun ceramic 'glass', like pyrex used to be, and what they make 'glass' stovetops from. i don't think you can burn off any of those fibers, FWIW

is your neighbor a pain? does he b!tch about smoke? if so, toss the old felt gasket in there while you do the burn.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Great idea but there was no felt left. I got my money worth out of the gasket. Ha Ha, oh yea he is a pain, has no life and just hates the world.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Looks great there Pooter. Now you can teach others. Well, maybe everyone cept Pete. lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I put on the same gasket several months ago. Works great!
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Mike - In your FWIW department, I originally installed the self-adhering Cotronics and the stick-um failed during the first cook (450*). I removed the adhesive and re-installed using Permatex Hi-Temp (650*) red RTV (cat. #81160). That was over 1 1/2 yrs. ago, and all is well. I have since installed Cotronics #397-41 (1500*) on two more Large's.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I jinxed myself. I just put my brisket on the XL and noticed it leaking out the side and sure enough the gasket is burnt there. Oh well May have to try it sooner than expected.
  • stike
    Options
    lotsa folks angry at the world when they're really angry at themselves...
  • How much is a roll of that stuff??
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Thermeez 395 and 397 is woven from industrial grade, Asbestos Free, Ceramic Fibers. These fibers are high in strength, flexible, durable, dimensionally and chemically stable and provide excellent electrical resistance. Ideal for thermal insulators, padding, gaskets, flexible curtains, liquid metal splash protection, expansion joints, etc. Google ‘Cotronics’. If interested, it is cat. #397-41 for 1500 deg. 1” x 1/16” x 100’ roll, enough to replace both gaskets on seven large Eggs. About $35 plus shipping. (I have no affiliation with Cotronics, just use their products very successfully)