Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami on the Egg

Options
BBQBoatman
BBQBoatman Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5 lb Montreal Style Smoked Meat Pastrami that I would like to re-heat on the Egg to give it some freshly smoked flavor. Most pastrami's use pickling spices and often never see actual smoke at all, as far as I understand! Does anyone have any experience or ideas about re-heating this pastrami in the Egg so it doesn't dry out? Would you use foil and indirect heat? How much time is required? Thanks for your help!
The Boatman

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    greetings,
    i am not sure about reheating on the egg as i usually slice mine thin and do a flash heat in a saute pan. i do my pastramis on the egg but normally the corned beef brisket is the one with the pickling spices and pastrami is coated with a combination of cracked coriander seed and black pepper at least that is the way i was taught by my jewish grandmother.
    DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg
    could just be a regional thing though.....
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I made my own pastrami (first attempt ever) last weekend on our large: http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/wont-find-this-on-5-footlong.html

As far as I understand it, pastrami is just corned beef that has been smoked. However, being a southern guy, I'm as close to being an expert on pastrami that a New Yorker is to being an expert on grits.

You don't want to dry yours out, since if it's "pastrami" it's already been smoked. When getting ready to do mine and looking up recipes, several of them reference cold smoking. You could give that a shot.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BBQBoatman
    Options
    Thanks, Slotmercenary! Great photos...I will do some testing this weekend!
  • BBQBoatman
    Options
    Thanks for the idea about cold smoking. Your link to your pastrami is great. I just y try that soon!