Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with two issues please

Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First the DigiQ

Last night I loaded the egg for an overnighter. I set up the q2 about 45 min later at 240 at the grate, about 2 inches from the butts. The dome was reading 260 and the q2 was reading 240. I thought well that's about right.

I let it go for about an hour and the dome had settled to around 225 and the q2 still read 240. I adjusted the pit temp to 245 and immediately the q2 read 245 and did not call for the fan. I readjusted the pit to 238 just to see what it would do and the q2 then read 238. Now I'm confused it has always been very exact on the pit temps. Usually if the pit is 235 and I want 240, I set it, the fan kicks on, and the temp begins to rise. The fan will pulse until 240 is reached then it will pulse every now and then to maintain that temp.

This morning I checked it and the pit still read 240 but the dome was around 210 :huh: . I checked the food and it read 178 which was consistent with the other butt that has a different meat probe in it.

I adjusted the pit to 250 and the q2 read 250.
I adjusted the pit to 240 and the q2 read 240.
I adjusted the pit to 235 and the q2 read 242.
I adjusted the pit to 255 and the q2 read 250 and called for the fan.

I unplugged the q2 and plugged it back in...same thing.

As I eluded to before the meat is cooking just about right but I just don't get why the 10 degree varience.

Any suggestions?

SECONDLY

I'm trying to find a sauce recipe similar to one I use to eat in Lexington Tn. @ Scotts BBQ. It is basically a vinegar of some sort with cayenne pepper. Not tomato based, just a thin red colored sauce. You had to keep it stirred up to keep the spices off the bottom.

Anybody heard of anything like that?

Thanks,

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My father-in-law makes a sauce very similar to what you describe.

He uses 1 part white vinegar to 1 part Frank's red hot. Then add a good dose of black pepper and a dash of kitchen bouquet.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    It is called North Carolina Sauce

By Elder Ward

1 cup - white vinegar
    1 cup - cider vinegar
    1 TBS - Hawaii style Sugar
    1 TBS - cheyenne pepper (fresh if you have it)
    1 TBS - Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp - Kosher salt
    1 tsp - cracked black pepper
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this ones elderwards, i use it all the time even for adding into dips for added flavor, copied from his pulled pork recipe. i heat it up a little and then refridgerate

(A)The Traditional North Carolina Sauce I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast. We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good. She hated the mountains. We all loved her folks.

· 1 C white vinegar
    · 1 C cider vinegar
    · 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    · 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    · 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    · 1 tsp. kosher salt
    · 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you beat me to it, its a great sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a sauce recipe that might help.

Also when I am in South Carolina I buy a bunch of Shealy's, Vinegar & Pepper sauce.Shealy's BBQ, Leesville SC 29070 803-532-8135. Most grocery stores carry it in SC.

Sauce, BBQ, Vinegar, Pepper, Red, Thin, Chef Arnoldi

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablesp granulated sugar
    1 tablesp crushed red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teasp worcestershire sauce

Procedure:
    1 Combine above heat to dissolve & use

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Author: Chef Arnoldi

Source: BGE Forum, Chef Arnoldi, 2004/02/22
  • Firetruck
    Thanks for the suggestions guy's. Those sound like they are what I use to have. My mother in law loves the stuff, and since I'm cooking these butts for her, I thought it would be nice if I could replicate some of the tastes from the past when her father was alive.

Thanks again
  • Goobs
    Goobs Posts: 15
    I'll try to field your first question in regards to the DigiQ 2...

Two things come to mind:

First, where are you placing the temperature probe (alligator clip)? If it is not on the backside of the BGE factory thermometer, then I think the difference is very normal. The temperature will vary within the dome, so a small (10 degree) difference is very normal. When I use my DigiQ, I tend to try to place the temperature probe in a place that will most accurately read the temperature where the meat actually is. Sometimes I use the backside of the BGE thermometer, the grate itself, rib rack, etc. It just depends on the cook and the setup.

Second, If you did place the alligator clip on the back of the factory thermometer, then your factory thermometer may need to be calibrated. However, your differences are relatively small, so I personally wouldn't bother. You can check your thermometer by placing it in boiling water and checking the temp (212*).

Overall, your difference between both readings is small, and I don't think would adversely affect the cook in any way. I have cooked butt's anywhere from 225-250 (and occasionally higher by accident), and they all seem to taste the same.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Have you ever tried Tennesse Red? Made by Blues Hog.

Mike
  • Firetruck
    No Mike I have not. Are they a vinegar based sauce?

I usually go to my favorite bbq joint when I want a really good sauce. I just don't know of anyone around here who makes the kind of sauce I was looking for.
  • Firetruck
    Goobs,

Thanks for the response, I may not have explained the issue correctly. I really don't have a problem with the difference between the dome and grate temps. BTW I clipped the probe on the grate about 2 inches from the meat.

My main concern was the q2 not being as precise as it use to be. It use to be dead on and only fluctuate maybe 1 degree.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    It is a vinegar based sauce. Pork Butt Mike is a huge fan of it. Get with him and let him explain it to you. I'm not a fan of vinegar based sauces. If you think you might like it. Shoot me an e-mail, I have a couple extra jars laying around.

Mike
  • Firetruck
    Honestly Mike I like what I think of as a traditional thick, savory, slightly sweet and tangy bbq sauce. My MIL loves the vinegar.
  • rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    Firetruck
    That's what we had in Mid TN. Basically like the others have said, I just mix white vinegar, some type of hot sauce & red pepper flakes to taste.
    Jason
  • Goobs
    Goobs Posts: 15
    I'll try to field your first question in regards to the DigiQ 2...

Two things come to mind:

First, where are you placing the temperature probe (alligator clip)? If it is not on the backside of the BGE factory thermometer, then I think the difference is very normal. The temperature will vary within the dome, so a small (10 degree) difference is very normal. When I use my DigiQ, I tend to try to place the temperature probe in a place that will most accurately read the temperature where the meat actually is. Sometimes I use the backside of the BGE thermometer, the grate itself, rib rack, etc. It just depends on the cook and the setup.

Second, If you did place the alligator clip on the back of the factory thermometer, then your factory thermometer may need to be calibrated. However, your differences are relatively small, so I personally wouldn't bother. You can check your thermometer by placing it in boiling water and checking the temp (212*).

Overall, your difference between both readings is small, and I don't think would adversely affect the cook in any way. I have cooked butt's anywhere from 225-250 (and occasionally higher by accident), and they all seem to taste the same.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!