Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Repair How To

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several months ago my plate setter developed a crack across the main surface area. I think my 23 lb. mad max turkey did it in (just kidding max). Well Saturday, it finally broke into two halves. I used JB Weld which has been recommended dozens of times and now according to the packaging has a heat resistance to 600 degrees. The following pics show how it was repaired. I used a racheting tie down strap as I was afraid of using a jaw or pipe clamp to hold the bond tight. It worked extremely well and the pics show how I did it. I'm not sure how many will benefit from this, but I thought it worth posting. Mark

Some pics after gluing and strapping

107-0787_IMG.jpg

107-0785_IMG.jpg

107-0786_IMG.jpg

After the ratcheting strap was removed

107-0788_IMG-1.jpg

107-0789_IMG-1.jpg

The bond has survived a 400 degree legs up cook tonight. I will post on this subject again when the plate setter survives a pizza cook (or not) and again when I sit my 8 qt. dutch oven on it, but so far, so good.
Mark

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    I can also vouch for JB Weld.

When your platesetter is sitting legs down on rough concrete NEVER move it aside by pushing it with your foot. Those feet really object to that. I glued mine back on a very long time ago with good results.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks like that may hold for awhile.. if i were you i would breakdown and buy a new one to keep in stock for that day it breaks again... may not happen for awhile but i am guessing it will!!!

oh yea i finally got my Six-Burgh tee shirt last weekend.. no pictures but i will get around to it eventually...

hope alls well up there my grand ma says it has snowed some flurries today... glad i don't live there anymore B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hi Terry, yeah, it's been crappy here. Cold and snow, but I think you folks in the south are getting a little bit of it too according to the Accuweather website. I just hope it's decent for Easter so all the little ones don't have to freeze posing for their Easter pics. :) Mark
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Mark,

Nice job on the repair.

Those knives are awesome!!! I have been useing a similar set of Shun Classics for many years and they are fantastic, you will never regret them.

Gator
  • jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    Options
    My XL plate setter broke last weekend. Glued with jb weld and used a pipe clamp. The glue failed first time out. I suspect the size of the plate setter is what did the glue in or the fact the plate setter in the XL is close to the burning lump. Bought a new one and I am back in business.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Nice repair Mark. Bet she holds to your high temps.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hey Marc,
    Nice going on the ceramic repairs. I have an old firebox, firegrate, and 2" fire ring that need repairs. PBM and I are going to be trying a high temp epoxy (2300 deg) that he just ordered.
    As for the Shuns, VERY NICE. Treat them with great respect and they will do you just fine. Not no sure about the box. Nice looking but leaves too much room for the knivfes to move around and colide into each other. Nice collection! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    Options
    I've used a ceramic drill about 1/8 inch and drilled holes on both sides of the cracks & kinda shoelaced it together with good wire, along with jb weld and it works fine. Tighten the wire good & tight