Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

recipe for biscuits and gravy

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm craving biscuits and gravy. my former wife made some really great b&g. Unfortunately, i never spent quality time with her in the kitchen so now she is the former.

can anyone share a good tried and true recipe for biscuits and gravy? i know i can google it. i would though like the best. btw, i know much is in the technique when it comes to the biscuits so any additional help in that regard would be helpful.

Comments

• My recipe for biscuits is in the 2007 Eggtoberfest cookbook with some technique instructions.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Alton's is about the best I have had. The sausage makes all the difference.

1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    Salt and pepper
    Directions
    Cook sausage in a cast iron skillet. When done, remove sausage from pan and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat. Whisk flour into the fat and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in milk a little at a time. Return to medium-high heat and stir occasionally while the gravy comes to a simmer and thickens. (Be sure to scrape up any brown bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan, that's where the flavor is.) Check seasoning, add crumbled sausage and serve over toast or biscuits
  • citychicken
    Options
    i saw Rusty Rooster's Stuffed Mushrooms but didn't see the giscuits and gravy.
    what should i be looking for?
  • It was not biscuits & gravy, just biscuits & I think sliced fatty.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This might help.

Biscuits, Buttermilk, Rusty Rooster

At Eggtoberfest I served a "Fattie" slice with each biscuit.

INGREDIENTS:
    5 lbs self rising flour
    2 cups Crisco
    6 cups buttermilk
    2 cups shredded cheese (if desired)
    1 stick margarine or butter (for the tops)

Procedure:
    1 While you are mixing and cutting your biscuits have your BGE preheating to 450 with clear smoke. Indirect on a raised grid so you are cooking as high in your dome as possible.
    2 One five pound bag of flour will yield approx. 60 large biscuits and you can cut it down from there.
    3 Lay out a sheet of wide foil for a prep board unless you have a counter you do not mind messing up.
    4 Put your flour in a large mixing bowl except for enough to fill your sifter and for 5 pounds. of flour add three good handfuls of Crisco. Cut the Crisco into the flour until it is evenly incorporated. You are close if it will stay together if you grab a handful but will still fall apart easily. If you want cheese biscuits, here you add a two cup bag of sharp shredded cheddar and mix into it.
    5 Now add buttermilk. Try not to add too much. It is easier to add more if it is not enough. Mix it in until you have all the dry flour mixture incorporated. I know it is messy but I use my hands for all of this as 'feel' is where you will finally learn it.
    6 Sift a layer of flour onto your foil sheet and pour/place your dough ball onto it. Sprinkle a little more flour on top and a little on your hands so it does not continue to stick to your hands. Flatten your ball just a little and then fold about 1/3 of it over itself. Continue to do this 4 or 5 times. You will feel the external texture change and dry a bit. DO NOT over knead it, you will make your biscuits tough.
    7 Pat it out until the entire dough is approx. ¾" thick. I use a cutter here to cut the biscuits.
    8 Coat your cooking pan well with Crisco. Place cut biscuits in the pan touching each other. Cook at 450 for approx. 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, they will get hard on bottom.
    9 While they are cooking, melt some butter/margarine. Just when you think they are browned enough and done, brush the tops with the melted butter and cook for one more minute. This will crisp the top.

Recipe Type
    Biscuits

Recipe Source
    Author: Rusty Rooster (Tom Chamberlain)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '07, Rusty Rooster

Sorry folks but I honestly do not measure any of my ingredients for these. I will give the ingredients and approx. amounts. Unfortunately these take practice.

Editor's Note: Approximate amounts ahve been taken from other Buttermilk Biscuit recipes.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Do you like white gravy or brown "SOUTHERN" sawmill gravy??I like the brown.You have to use bacon grease to make it.And of course there's"RED-EYE" all three are very different in consistency ,taste and texture.I will be happy to e-mail you any recepie you would like.Gravy is like good scotch and wine,just because it's gravy or scotch does'nt mean it's the same!!! :woohoo: :ohmy: :P B)
  • citychicken
    Options
    my wife used to make the brown gravy, which i like. i'm not familiar with the "red-eye". would be interested in knowing more about it though.

of particular interest would be the secret to good biscuits. i attempted this once before, the biscuits were hard and the gravy didn't have the body and character that i was accustomed. plus the gravy tasted like flour.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I do bacon gravy. Pretty much the same as the sausage one. Dice up bacon, fry, and brown the flour in the bacon grease, add milk (I use half canned, and half chicken broth) Throw the bacon back in. Season to taste with salt and pepper.