Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Johnny Cake for breakfast

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A sweet corn bread/cake from an old family recipe.
IMG_0369.jpg
Check out the chicken feed in there. My breakfast tomorrow morning, warmed up with butter and maple syrup dumped on top.
IMG_0385.jpg

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Now that looks awesome Clay, looks like it's nice and moist. Will you share your recipe. B)
  • Hardwood
    Hardwood Posts: 30
    Nice corn bread Clay! I checked out your Hodag Cookie receipe today also. They sound very interesting. I liked the fact that you thought they would work well at an Egg demo or Eggfest.

Speaking of which, what will be your next Egg event?
    :pinch:
  • Clay Q
    Old Recipe Johnny Cake

Oven at 350, ceramic cooker at 400 indirect setup.

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter (one stick)
    3 eggs
    a good dash of salt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 cups flour
    2/3 cup cornmeal

Cream sugar and butter, add eggs, salt, vanilla and stir until smooth. Add buttermilk alternately with flour and baking soda and stir. Add cornmeal and stir until smooth.

Pour into greased pan 9" x 13"
    Bake for 30 min or until golden brown.

Johnny cake is good anytime alongside BBQ but I also like it served warm with two strips of bacon, butter and a little maple syrup on top for breakfast.
    Enjoy!
    Clay
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Thanks for the recipe Clay. Looks like it cooked perfect!
  • Clay Q
    Hey buddy, been awhile.
    I made Hodags at Eggwegofest but they went fast, so did the pig candy and Gin Martini's. :whistle:
    Well I'll be back at Eggwegofest, I hope, and I'm thinking I might want to check out the Peoria Eggfest.
    Then I would like to hook up the mules to the potato wagon and head on down to Eggtoberfest this fall with Diana Q riding shotgun. :ohmy:

I just made Hodags for dinner tonight.....yes they are fun to make!
    Hope to see you this summer.
    IMG_0383.jpg
  • Not to steal your thunder but, here in New England, specifically Rhode Island, we have a "Jonnycake" or Journey Cakethat goes back to the very early colonial days.

Always made in the form of small 'cakes' or pancakes.

The recipe is quite simple made with stone ground white flint corn from a stone mill called Kenyons the recipe follows;

1 cup of Kenyons corn meal
    1/2 tsp of salt
    1 tsp of sugar
    1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of boiling water

You combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour boiling water over mixture gradually to make a "ploppy" batter, adding milk if desired to thin to a consistency that will drop off the end of a spoon.

Drop into a well greased griddle or fry pan (usually CI) and cook 6 minutes. Turning when one side is well browned.

My father and his mother used bacon fat today they call for vegetable oil.

For longer than most can remember there has been an ongoing battle about the thickness of a Jonnycake. The Swamp Yankees (southern RI) called for thin and East Bay (Newport / Barrington area) called for thick cakes.

My father made them thin and lacy at the edges. They were, in the really old days, made to eat cold while riding on a trip. They were usually carried in a pocket or a small cloth bag.
  • Clay Q
    Your welcome,
    The cake is moist, it's the buttermilk. Makes a nice side sweet to BBQ ribs, chicken or grilled fish. Party food.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Clay thanks so much for the recipe, I am going to try that this week. I just got a pair of CI loaf pans just for this.
  • Clay Q
    Yeah, there are really old recipes out there. Interesting recipe you have. This one I have is from my Grandma, where she got it I don't know. My ancestors are French Canadian over 300 years in Canada migrating down the Great Lakes and into Minnesota and Wisconsin. Maybe that's how the butter and buttermilk got in. ;)
    The cornmeal I used was stone ground, got a bite to it.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Clay, it's awesome you would share that...my grandmother used to make a version of johnny cake when I was a kid and visiting for the summers...lost the recipe when she passed and havent heard anyone mention 'johnny cake' in years...thanks for sharing that! I will def try this on real soon! ;)
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Not to steal your thunder either, Sundown, but here in the South, this stuff is known a 'Hoe Cake'. The recipe may vary, but similar stuff. Workers in the fields made a batter, a small fire, and cooked the little pancakes over the open fire on a hoe. Get the hoe hot (there's some imagery for you!), pour some batter on the hoe and hold it over the fire til done. My sisters and I used to make this stuff when we were kids and Mom was gone. We weren't supposed to cook while Mom wasn't there, but my oldest sister was sort of a rebel and always started cooking the minute Mom was gone. Cookies, hoe cake, potato chips, whatever.
    I'm originally from Vermont and we used to buy Johnny Cakes already made from some regional baker. Howard Johnson used to make them, too, (Corn Toastee's, I think they were called) and they were sold in the freezer section. Pop 'em in the toaster, butter 'em up, and cover 'em with maple syrup.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow clay that looks wonderful.. our family recepie passed down from generations is jiffy :whistle:

yours looks great!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb