Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potato with sensor

Options
The Barbequetioner
The Barbequetioner Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Another question, I cooked a rack of ribs in about 1.5 hours, yeah I know. I bought a remote thermometer and I have seen people stick the probe into a potato. Does this measure grill temp?

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Measures potato temp !! :ohmy: :whistle: :evil:

Couldn't resist.
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    It is all fun and games untill someone looses an egg. How would I verify accuracy of a thermometer
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    You need to calibrate your dome temp. When I checked mine the other day it was off by about 40* !

Remove the temp probe and insert the tip in boiling water. If it doesn't read about 212*, then adjust it by turning the nut on the back of the dial until it is correct.

Ordering a Thermapen (kind of expensive) is well worth it for checking meat internal temps. It's about the fastest around and only makes a tiny hole so juices don't leak out.

Good luck!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have seen people cut a potatoe in half,place the flat side on the grate,then put the temp probe THROUGH the potato.Use it like a prob holder.Make sure the tip of the probe passes all the way through and potrudes out the other side.Probes measure the heat from the tip. ;)
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    Thanks man. Mine looks off by about 40-50. According to the potato. LOL
  • Hoss
    Options
    You can also check calibration by inserting the business end of the thermometer in a glass of ice water.should be close to 32 degrees.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Never doubt a potato!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) ALSO cooked Babybacks at 350 direct in inverted V-rack in 1.75 hours...guage accurate and Thermopen registered 185! Very good, a nice bite but not tough; dry rub, no sauce :P
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    You can also check calibration by inserting the business end of the thermometer in a glass of ice water.should be close to 32 degrees.

While this does work, you are better of calibrating closer to a range that you will actually use. Most dome thermometers are not all that linear in how they behave. Calibrating at 32 could still have them quite a ways of at the 200-300 range we actually use them at.

Calibrating in boiling water should give you a nice solid 212, unless you are at elevation (like me) then use this website (http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html).

nooBBQ,
  • Hoss
    Options
    You are correct.I was refering to a digital thermometer like a maverick,that should read correctly at either temp.I would recomend the boiling water test for a dial thermoter.Sometimes a glass of ice water is handier than boiling a pot of water.