Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen some posts regarding maximizing the grilling capacity of the BGE. The term Grill Extender has been used. Well, I thought a grill extender was something else and I am not sure what it is or looks like or where to get one. Could someone please educate me. Thanks.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    PCO3,[p]Its a seperate piece of equipment that your dealer should have. Its basically a second grill on little legs that sits on the grill that you've already got.

• Unknown
    Options
    I tried to find a picture, but the best I saw was in PDF format. Click the link and there is a picture of it on page 4 of the catalog.

[ul][li]BGE Catalog[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    PCO3,
    Try this and scroll the page.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Options
    RG,
    LOL, Your second post came up the same time as mine. Too funny.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Yours is better...hadn't seen that page before. Also a good one for folks with questions about platesetters. That question seems to come up pretty often.

• Bordello
    Options
    RG,
    Yes, I click on the "what's new" at the top part of the forum page in case you need it for someone in the future.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />PCO3,
    Here's a shot of one in use.[p]Chuck

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    PCO3,
    You can also make an extended grid using stainless bolts, nuts and washers. Here is a pic of ours with some ABT's cooking. Someone, maybe YB?, has a better picture of one. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]raised grid[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    nikkig,[p]I notice that almost all pictures posted here show Eggs with grill extenders, yet 'out-of-the-box', the BGE is set-up for cooks on a grid placed on the fire ring. Is the primary purpose to keep the food from burning? Should cooking closer to the coals only be done for searing? Since a lot of the Egg cooking appears to be for slow-and-low cooks, I'm suprised that the Egg isn't made with the grid closer to the rim. (The information shiped with the BGE would lead one to believe that a raised grid is not necessary, and the slow-and-low's should be done with a v-rack placed on the lower grid)

• Unknown
    Options
    Tony,[p]Think of it this way: The only way to do a low & slow, “indirect” cook on a BGE is to use an inverted plate setter, water pan, pizza stone or firebricks. A water pan is almost always used to catch the drippings. Therefore, you will need a lower grid placed on the fire ring to hold one or more of these devices with your big ol hunk of meat placed above it, maybe using a v-rack and/or another grid. If the lower grid were raised, you would need a taller dome to make it all fit.... Right? [p]Ceramic cookers are very versatile and may be set-up in many different ways depending on your needs and desires and types of cooks, (hi heat direct searing or low & slow indirect BBQ.)
  • nikkig
    Options
    Tony,
    We use our raised grid most of the time because it helps with flare-ups and burnt bottoms when cooking direct. When cooking indirect, you would need the lower grid to hold the drip pan, and then another grid resting on that, with the raised grid, you can just set it in and not have to balance it on your drip pan. It also raises up the grid to make getting things out easier. Flipping burgers can be a pain in the rear on that lower grid. [p]With the raised grid like we have, you just set it in, and can lift it out easily. I think with the BGE extenders, you have to hook them to the bottom gird somehow. Don't know how you would unhook it when it is hot and you need to access the lower grid, or the firebox. [p]~nikki

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Tony,[p]A grill extender is most definitely NOT necessary. I have had no problem with the food being "too close to the fire" or saw the need to raise the food in normal circumstances. Raising the food may allow you to cook at a little higher temp, but not an appreciable difference IMHO. The grill extender DOES come in very handy whan you need more volume. Other folks may swear by using the extender, but hey, that's the great thing about BBQ. There isn't any RIGHT way. It's whatever works for you.[p]Jim
  • Unknown
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Wouldn't it be possible to place a v-rack right into a drip pan, thereby not needing a bottom grid?
    (Bear with me, I'm new to the Egg!)

• Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanks.
    I'm gonna play with the Egg for awhile before I try a grill extender.

• nikkig
    Options
    Tony,
    yeah, you could do that, but we didn't care for using a v-rack, so we used the flat grid instead. Don't ya love the versatility of the egg :-)[p]
    ~nikki

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    nikkig,
    Are the bolts just sitting on the fire ring? Could you give some more details on how that is set up? Is there another grid below that one?[p]Thanks!

• nikkig
    Options
    bigmikej,
    The set up is: fire box, fire ring, lower grid, raised grid. The raised grid is made with stainless bolts, nuts and washers. The washers on the bottom are sandwiched between two nuts to keep them from falling through the lower grid.[p]~nikki