Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help!

Desert Oasis Woman
Desert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SMOKING BUCKBOARD BACON:
ON AT 6:30PM DOME TEMP 220F, STEADY
MEAT COLD, RAISED
1.5 HRS.
WENT INSIDE, ATE, WATCHED MOVIE
FORGOT :blush:
10PM DOME TEMP 140F :ohmy:
MEAT TEMP 130, SMELLS GREAT
OPENED VENTS
WILL GET DOME BACK TO 200F RANGE
?? IS MEAT OK????

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    No worries.The lower and slower the better.I like to pull at 145.According to new USDA ,Pork is considered SAFE to eat at 145.If you are scared of it,send to me!I will pay shipping!!! :whistle: :evil: ;) No worries.Be HAPPY!!! B)
  • :blush: no worries :whistle: great :ermm: got scared
    but sure smells great!!! thanks B)
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    I would say yes.
    Theres no doubt that I would continue to finish it as I'm sure you cooked the outer layer of the meat and from what I'm told thats where the bad stuff piles on.
    I've read that trichinosis sp? is killed at 137 degrees in meat, and then I later read that trickynosis has not been found in pork in something like 40 years!? It seems all the antibiotics in hog farming has eliminated it, but I have no factual info to confirm it.

So with my worthless opinion I would just keep on cooking it, and eat it when it was done. :)
    But, that's just me.;)
    You should do what feels good and right to you.
    Later,
    Ron.
  • Hoss
    Remember,you're gonna cook it again before you eat it. :);)
  • Cooking in progress
    :sick:actually had tapeworm in '67 due to eating "ham" part of raw bacon :sick:
    not worried about that, just that dome temp had dropped--due to my inattention--and worried maybe spoiled
    :laugh: but you guys helped revive my confidence B) thanks
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    You're kidding me!
    I've never known an actual person having a tapeworm, I was beginning to think it was an urban legend!
    I'm not trying to belittle you but I actually did not know that it was real! :) I thought it was more or less an old wives tale to scare us kids when we were young. (and yes I was young once, ;)) I heard about it a lot when I was a kid in the '50's.
    So with that information, don't listen to "me" anymore. Like I said, this is only my opinion and you know what that is worth. :)
    Later
    Ron.
  • Hoss
    Don't worry,BE HAPPY!!! :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Meat will be OK. Like Hoss (who seems to never sleep) says, you will recook it anyway.

BTW, probably need to consider getting a remote thermometer with an alarm so it will let you know if the dome temp gets below a set point.

Then you can watch a movie, doze off, or "hanky panky" and will be warned if the Egg gets too cool or too hot - I will stop there. :whistle: :evil: :blush:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    not to worry .. remember it is already cured so you have a lot more wiggle room with the 40-140 rule.
    bill
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Ron, tapeworms are for real. There's a forum member,
    Pat (FLpoolman), and he has a tapeworm right now and he can't get rid of it. He can eat an entire buffet table in one sitting and he doesn't gain a pound. I can see Kari's concern about getting a tapeworm again. :lol:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you could have hung that cured piece in the basement for a couple of months like they do with proscuito and it might be safe. its really safe for what you did B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    cooking again doesn't do anything to a piece of meat that's gone "bad". it's not likely in this case, but if you had a chunk of pork that had sat out for a while, raw, and bacteria were allowed to multiply to the point where it was unsafe to eat, cooking it wouldn't do anything but kill the bacteria. their toxin remains.

but let's back way up here.

if it's buckboard bacon, didn't you salt it and cure it? curing and salting may now be done for flavor reasons, but they originally were for preserving.

let's not forget the purpose of curing afterall: to keep the meat safe for storage for a long time, or during an extended cold smoke (when it's exposed to the perfect temps for growing bacteria or botulism).

the very act of curing it is what makes it safer than "regular" raw pork at this point in your cook. even though even the raw stuff would likely still be safe.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    recooking doesn't make bad meat better again. it's a common, and dangerous, misconception.
  • :laugh: Anne, If tapeworms really caused weight loss I would eat a whole pound of uncooked bacon :woohoo:
  • dome temp quickly went back to 220 range and thickest parts of BB bacon got to 145-150 range about 1.25 hours later :) placed in fridge to cool quickly and went to bed feeling a LOT better thanks to quick comments by Hoss and Chef RD :kiss: Thanks Gents B)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Stike,

Have you tried any of this stuff?

I would bet it's okay too, but I consider Buckboard as a flavor cure (or soft cure) rather than a preservation cure. It has many of the attributes of a harder cure that we like.....It's slightly salty, has a tight texture, a nice color and of course a smoky flavor. But it does need to be refrigerated and has a 7 +/- day shelf life.

In the curing bag, the cure forms sort of a paste, but there is also some liquid that has leeched from the meat, making sort of a thick brine. Part of the prep involves a soak out in water and a refrigerated rest, so these steps weaken the cure a hair.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    its safe even if it wasnt cured, well within 4 hours of low temps and the dome wasnt even below the required 140. even a soft cure will lengthen the dangerzone times. shes safe as long as the meat was stored properly during the cure and was safe before starting out
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    what i meant was that we cure it now for flavor. but the reason we did it in the first place was to preserve the meat. the nitrites in the pink salt (and th regular old salt, NaCl) are there for bacterial and botulism reasons.

my point was that she cured the meat (assuming she used tenderquick or maybe some other curing salts (nitrates/nitrites). those things which preserved meat to begin with as a practical necessity are now part of something we do for flavor. in curing the meat though, she made it safer than it would have been without it. although i still think she'd have been safe even if it was raw ground pork. hahaha

i'm actually buying some salts today to (try to) do dry-cured chorico/chorizo, and the easter ham.
  • stike
    i agree. was just saying that she shouldn't forget that it was cured in the first place, for the very reasons she was worried about. hahaha

hey. any source for bactoferm and curing salts (local) that you know of? i'd rather get it locally than have it shipped
  • fishlessman
    ive only found the bacto stuff on line
    http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index
    have a bunch of it in the freezer that im hesitant to use after losing power in the ice storm earlier this year. should probably huck it out and buy some fresh stuff, if i remember right it only lasts so long even in the freezer.
    fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Okay sounds like we're all on the same page on this one.....Keep up posted on the ham project.

You have mail
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    that's the website i was cruising. they have everything, reasonable prices too. that's one of the suppliers mentioned in the charcuterie book.

was thinking there might be a store nearby that had it though. no luck
  • reelgem
    LOL!!! Kari, like I said FlaPoolman can eat an entire buffet and not gain a pound. He's living proof. Start eating the raw bacon!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

That's him on the left in this pic with me and carwash mike. He never gains a pound....sick!!!

DSC01981-2.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :whistle::blush::blush: :ermm:
    I love you too Anne :laugh: :laugh:
  • reelgem
    Pat, I'm so sorry. Your tapeworm is a very personal problem and I shouldn't be telling everyone on the forum about it. I did break the HIPPA law, and I aplogize. Please don't hire Zippy to come after me.
    I do love you. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: