Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my first egg today...

Ryan
Ryan Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got home from picking up my new large egg. (I'm so excited!!)[p]I'm a well seasoned gas and charcoal griller, but have never owned a smoker. I figured I buy the best... :)[p]Is there any advice, recommendations, comments etc... Before I unpack it?[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    P1020003.JPG
    <p />Ryan,[p]Welcome to a growing family![p]My only advice is:[p]Notice the crack in the firebox?(line running from top to bottom on the top part of picture).
    This happened after my first cook, and it is common!
    Maybe it wont happen to you after your very 1st cook, but the day is approaching!
    DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. IT ISNT REALLT A BIG DEAL! IT WONT EFFECT COOKING! You are under warranty and will get it replaced.
    Just use the cracked one until it cant be used anymore, and store the new one IF that day ever arises. Some people are going on years using their cracked firebox as their replacement collects dust.[p]Now, I just saved you a desperate post in the future.[p]Enjoy the world of ceramics! You will LOVE it. I garuntee that![p]Smokin' "boom boom" Todd
    [/b]
  • Ryan
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Did they warranty the firebox for you? If not, how much was it?[p]Is there anything I can do to prevent it from cracking?[p]Thanks!!!![p]Ryan
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Ryan,
    Your firebox may or may not crack. Just don't be surprised when it does. Below is a link to my webpage about cracked fireboxes. It should answer your questions. [p][li]Cracked Firebox FAQ[p]And while you are at it, you should visit my webpage on flashback to avoid the embarassment and burnt hair of your first flashback:[p][li]Flashback Movie and Photos[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Finally watched that flashback video the other day. Must say, excellent work![p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Ryan,
    Welcome to the family![p]"Any suggestions?" ... Yes: Here is your shopping list
    MAPP gas torch
    Plate setter
    Pizza Stone
    Pizza Peel
    Thermapen
    Polder style thermometer
    Ash tool
    Extra grate with 4" stainless bolts
    Dutch oven
    5 - 1/2" brass elbows for "kiln posts"
    Egg table
    Bucket for storing lump & wood chunks
    Good pair of grill gloves
    V-Rack[p]"any comments?"
    The first several cooks will be a challenge in figuring just how large the bottom vent and top vent openings should be for the proper & desired dome temp. I have found that for low -n- slow cooks (under 250) the bottom vent is cracked about the width of an American Express card.[p]Calibrate your dome thermometer using boiling water as a reference point.[p]Visit the Dizzy Pig web site and order a sampler of the various rubs.[p]Visit The Naked Whiz's web site for great information on the basics of owning an egg (see also "Flashback")[p]Consult TimM for anthing to do with ribs on the egg; TNW for anything to do with spatchcock chicken; If you want to see the best photos of past cooks, ask about cooking Duck[p]Try chicken for your first cook. The response is usually, "Oh my gosh, how on earth did I ever get this far in life and eat such crap when I could have been eating EGG food? What in the heck took me so long?"[p]Be persistent at getting pizza down to a science, you will feel fulfilled when you deliver that great fresh pizza to the family.[p]Please be sure to share all you success stories and failures with us. And remember, we are here to help and encourage you. You are not alone, we were all first timers at this.[p]Banker John

• Smokin' Todd
    The Naked Whiz,[p]that was the coolest minute clip I have ever seen[p]ST
  • The Naked Whiz
    Smokin' Todd,
    Thanks, I had some fun making it. I wish I could do it again (and I may do it again), although the ideas I have for improving it might detract from the seriousness of the issue. Oh well... But you gotta admit, that slow motion clip sure does kickass, doesn't it? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    banker John,
    Dang good post, john!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokin' Todd
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Believe me, as long as you show that flame, nothing can take away the seriousness. After the woman watched the clip with me she begged me to send my large guy back. Of course I told her she goes before that ever does :)[p]ST
  • Ryan
    John,[p]Wow Great post!! Thanks...[p]Couple of questions...:)[p]Need help with the following:[p]Plate setter = Is this the tool that holds the grate?[p]Thermapen = Instant read thermometer?[p]5 - 1/2" brass elbows for "kiln posts" = What the hell is a "Kiln Post" and why do I need 5 elbows for it?[p]Ash tool = I'm assuming this is to clear the ash. Why do I need an expensive tool to do this?[p]I didn't buy the "BGE" thermometer. It looked cheap and they wanted $20 for it. I figured I would get a better one at a "Home store". Any recommendations?[p]Is the Polder a wireless thermometer?[p]You said "spatchcock". I'm speechless...:)[p]Thank you in advance for your answers and your awesome post. I promise to have a cold beer in your name while I'm enjoying my first flashback...:)[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan[p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    banker John,
    That is a great response. You naoled everything on the head.[p]Every new egger should read this and then "go for it!"[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    banker John,
    That is a great response. You nailed (that's NAILED) everything on the head. I'm almost hammered right now...just kidding... happy though![p]Every new egger should read this and then "go for it!"[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Ryan,
    Spatchcocked will make you speechless. Tough to beat![p]Mike in MN

• Smokin' Todd,[p]The fire-ring in your Egg appears to be missing some holes.
    Is this an older-style egg?

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Smokin' Todd,
    What made you go with a Primo over a BGE?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Ryan,[p]You may also want to purchase one of those small battery-operated "personal fans." They come in handy when starting your fire (blow air into the bottom vent to accelerate combustion)--I use mine every time I start the Egg.[p]Bill Wise (WiseOne) compiled a great recipe book from messages on this forum. You can download it off the Naked Whiz's website (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm). Also, you know that manual that came with your BGE? Well, use it to start your next fire. If you have any questions on times, temps, or techniques, just ask here and you'll get great responses and often mouth-watering pictures.[p]If you want to cook a steak that will turn out better than any you can get at high-dollar steakhouses (and if you have the time to read a verbose word document), click on the link below.[p]Welcome to the family, and happy cooking![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Steak never tasted so good . . . [/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Ryan,
    Here is a link to my recipe page. Check out the chicken section where you will find a recipe, a very funny story (ha ha) and information about the word itself.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Recipe Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz