Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly question

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try curing and smoking my own bacon. Is 2.99/lb slab (about 14 lbs) a good price for pork belly?

Okeejohn

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Don't mean to steer you off course, but when you can buy butts for .99 to 1.29/lb. on sale, why would you want to do belly bacon? The shoulder is far less fatty, great tasting and much more economical. Read the posts of people that have done buckboard bacon and you'll see what I'm trying to convey. I can buy belly (regular)cured bacon thick sliced and smoked for $2.99/lb. Mark

edit: some pics

107-0764_IMG.jpg

107-0768_IMG.jpg

107-0770_IMG.jpg
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    What is meant by the term Buckboard bacon?

Okeejohn
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Buckboard is bacon made from a hog's shoulder, like Canadian bacon is made from the loin. At least that's my understanding of it. I'm sure someone here can tell you where or how the name originated. Every person that has sampled what I've made has raved about it. It will be part of my first course in the morning's cook at Waldorf. Mark

Well, I just spoke to Laurie in customer service at Hi-Mount*in and she claims that they coined the phrase and named the product Buckboard Bacon just to stay in keeping with their other products that have western themed names. So there you have it. A wagon from the old west; the buckboard, and bacon. :laugh:
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I recently paid 1.19 at Restaurant Depot. Granted, I had to buy a case of 4 pork belly's. I'd call a butcher or two and see what they can do for you. Most of them don't stock it regularly but get it in occasionally.

Buckboard bacon is mighty fine eats but bacon made from the belly is the stuff dreams are made of. Plus you get all the bacon fat!! :evil:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Alright bird boy! I almost have Okee converted to BB and headed down the righteous path and then you gotta go an stick your 2 cents in and cloud his mind all up.

I guess I have to pull this out again to put you in your place! :evil:
    thesqueezemn1.png

All in fun of course Scott. :P :laugh: Mark