Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way O/T adopting a dog

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well maybe not as he will become an egg worshiper I am sure LOL Our little dog Dixie is 13 and we are looking getting her a boyfriend so we are rescuing another Maltese/poodle mix. His name is Dexter and he was found running down the middle of the road at night. he is heart worm possi and on treatments right now and they feel it will be fine.
The first pic is of him when they found him and his first bath and hair cut
dexter.jpg
the next one is this week :) he looks like a different dog!
Dexter014.jpg
I have been amazed at the adoption process, the form we filled out was about 3 pages long and tonight they come to do a home visit. we had to provide reference both here in fl and at home in Maine as we are taking him out of state. I do not mind as they are trying to get dogs out of the system and into good homes. this rescue deals in small dogs and they have hundreds needing home. They are all fostered in homes and micro chipped and all vet service done. spayed, shot and everything. We are pretty eggcited :)
http://www.petfinder.com/
pet finder is a great organization that can locate a pet anywhere in the country.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are one of the good guys. What a good looking dog.

We spent 3 days on the phone with Poodle rescue in Dallas to get our Standard. I think you can do a child with less paperwork. But I am glad it is this way.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Coacher
    Coacher Posts: 22
    Options
    My wife helps maintain the website for Tulsa Boxer Rescue in Oklahoma. I know how much more rewarding it is (for you and the dog) to adopt than to buy from a breeder. Major major kudos :) .
  • Mainegg
    Options
    nah the good guys are the people that foster them and get them back to health and then pass them on. I am not sure I could do that after 2-4 months of work. you invest a lot of heart in an animal that is sick. he looks like he has a pink bikini on in the last pic but it is a belly band. he has a piddle problem that they think is just trauma and the meds for the heart worm. if it is that would be great but if it isn't I will have a styling dog! I need to find some big green egg fabric to make a bandanna and belly band for him!
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Wow...that's great you adopted Dexter. You will not find a better dog than a rescue. He sure is going to a great home. Have you introduced Dexter to Dixie yet?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Congrats to you & Neil I know the dog will have a great home. Most of our dogs over the years have all been rescue dogs and seem to know they have a better home. I think the kennel (club med for canines) bill was more than the hotel bill for Ocala :pinch: :P
  • My wife has a Austrailian Shepard and wanted another. We foud some to be adopted and thought it would/should be a win/win. This is a "hearding" dog and we live in a rural area. After the interview, they refused us the dog because we would not guarantee that it would live 100% of the time in the house. They did say it could go outside for potty trips. Go figure!! Hope you and your adopted dog have a wonderfull life together.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    Congrat's---
    The carbonizers have 5 rescues at home and we have fostered about 6 others that have found homes.
    Our first was found via petfinders from a group that we do foster and other work for.

If your looking for a dog or cat, please consider rescue centers and help save a life.

http://www.illinoisbirddogrescue.org/
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    my brother has one of those dogs too, keeping that particular kind of dog indoors is cruelty to the dog. i was not allowed to adopt from the mspca here back when i was in my twenties, they said my lifestyle wasnt up to par to adopt. sometimes you have to wonder who runs those places. they must think dogs dont like to hike, boat, fish, swim, run, play etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Exactly our thoughts. Thanks for confirming that we were wanting to give the dog exactly what it was bread to do & likely would have enjoyed.
    Tom
  • Mainegg
    Options
    That is to bad :( there are couch dogs and running dogs. Dixie prefers a pillow as high as she can get it and the view of the living room. out dalmatians wanted a Frisbee in their line of sight. and running full tilt. well one of them did, the other wanted FOOD and the couch. all dogs are different even within a breed. not everyone realizes this. Thankfully there are more good people out there in the rescue than bad
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i think alot of people choose their dog by looks, not based on their lifestyle and what the dogs need. for instance, if you ever seen a portuguese water dog in action, you would know it has no place in the white house :laugh: i hope they dont give it the foofoo poodle cut, i like them with all the hair shaking water and mud on everything
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • We have two dogs. The Aussie is very affectionate. When we let her in she will come to each of us for some luvin then go to the door and stare till we let her out. The lab will come in and lay down and stay till you ask if she wants out.
    I doubt we would have ever gotten a Aussie to want to stay inside.
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    good work on the dog. our shitzu.bichon cross had the same problem. Small dogs tend to get a calcium buildup in the bladder causing them to urinate in small amounts all the time. I would doubt the heart worm med is the problem but your own vet would know for sure.
    good luck
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Good for you! We did the same thing last year at this time and added Ella to the family. She's a border collie mix...we have no idea what the mix is.

Ella.jpg

She's great with the kids, and nice little watch dog, too.

fc
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Well the home visit is over and I think we did fine! Dixie was a little lady thanks goodness LOL she can be a bit of a bag! so tomorrow we meet him and go from there.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) Most of the time it'sthe dogs who adopt us! :woohoo: