Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Yums

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to cook a couple of chickens spatchcock style today. I cooked them indirect at 225 for about 5.5 hours and finishing them at 300 for the last 30min. They were unbelievably juicy and plump. A really good meal for a Tuesday. ;)

First I had to get me lady fired up...
DSC04299.jpg

DSC04302.jpg

Wood Chips be a soakin...
DSC04300.jpg

The chickens were rubbed with a BBQ seasoning mixture and EVOO the night before (Sorry forgot pics). I unwrapped them and placed them in position...
DSC04304.jpg

After 5 hours it was time for BBQ sauce. I only sauced 1 leaving the other wanting...

DSC04306.jpg

DSC04305.jpg

Finished. The sauced up chicken was turned a couple of times between 1st app and the end.
DSC04307.jpg

After resting and after giving the knife for all of it's bad behavior... :P
First the BBQ

DSC04309.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

Now the lonely one...
DSC04313.jpg

DSC04314.jpg

Plated with the standard at my house, Green Beans and Mashed Potato's.
DSC04316.jpg

It was a dreary looking day today in Lawrenceville and probably most of North Georgia. I egged on anyways and produced a wonderful meal.

Peace :woohoo:
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Spatchcock has to be one of the best cooks on the egg. Almost impossible to mess it up. Low and slow or quick at 450. Great looking birds!

Slick
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    The tuna burgers were a tough act to follow but this chicken looks great. I never thought of doing chicken at 225 for that many hours. Is there really that noticeable of a difference compared to cooking it at higher temp for a shorter time?
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have done it both ways. If I have the time I will do low and slow because I believe it finishes twice as juicy than hot and fast. It is like filling a water balloon, if you go fast it bursts pretty quick but if you fill it up slowly you can get in the maximum amount of fluid before it bursts. But there are plenty of times especially during the week that I can't cook except fast because of the usual's like work, daughters soccer practice and such.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Looks good, I usually only do the hot and fast. But one weekend will definitely have to try the low and slow.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Very nice!

Spatchcock is definitely one of the best! Yours look great!