Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speckled trout recipe

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have some fresh speckled trout filets that I need to cook tomorrow. I would appreciate some input as to recipes for the BGE. I have direct and indirect (place setter) capabilities. Thanks. Ray Price

Comments

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Babyray,[p] If the fillets still have the skin on, just put them on at 400 skin side on with salt, pepper, lemon juice, your favorite seasoning, (old bay does well for this) and two thin pats of butter on each fillet. They take about 5-7 minutes to cook this way. Take the trout off before it looks done because it is very easy to overcook and dry out. If they are skinless fillets, put them on a small fahjita pan before doing this as trout tends to fall apart as it is grilled. Alder wood chips make an excellent companion for trout. Fresh basil or cilantro chopped and put on top odf the fillets makes it extra special. Just wish I could get some of the fresh North Carolina mountain trout down here in Florida! [p] If possible, get them butterfly fillet the next time, it makes all the difference in world in cooking.[p]JET

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jet,
    Good call! I prefer to massage them with olive oil. Then place each filet on a piece of foil twice as wide as the filet, so you can roll the filet midway through the cook. (Also works good with whole fish.)[p]Ken