Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING: Nature Boy / Maple Salmon help

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chris,

I was planning to try your DP Maple Salmon tonight. I was reading over your recipe on your website and it looks pretty straightforward. I have a question though:
The maple/butter glaze - is it made with 50/50 butter and maple syrup or is there a different ratio? Anything else added, or just the butter/syrup? Maybe a little more DP RR, or is there enough on the filets?

Thanks.

Comments

• NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    I had the same question but never asked! I went with the 50/50 approach and no extra rub. Unless told otherwise I'll stick with this. We were very satisfied with the result.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    NJ,

Thanks. Chris is not online and may not get on in time to answer. I was going to just do a 50/50 deal. Can't be bad....
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Clark!
    I started doing 50/50, but lately have been going with 1/3 butter and 2/3 maple syrup, and adding a splash of soy sauce. I put the rub pretty thick on the filets, so none in the glaze. Hope I am not too late!!

Just back from a long day setting up at the new place. Here it is with my decal on the door :-)

DizzyHQ.jpg

Cooked up some duck breast, red bells and shiitakes for snacks. And cooking helps me when I am nervous like I am now ;-)

Duck2.jpg

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thats wild...I was just thinking this afternoon about calling to find out how the space was working out...guess they accepted the offer..Congrats
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I see that Chris has just responded but I'd like to second his advice. Butter does not improve the flavor past some undetermined point and tends to mask the maple flavor. I usually use about a tablespoon of butter with 2-3 tablespoons of syrup (but I don't measure - I just pour.) And be aware that different maple syrups have different intensities of flavor - around here I see grades A and B in various levels of amber. I believe the purest grade (probably grade A light amber) is not the strongest flavor.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Did it for Mama a couple of nights ago. Her favorite!

Mike

bbqthighs004.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    after the garage door incident you may want to make some more!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Congratulations Chris!! I know how much you've been wanting this to happen. Thanks for sharing the picture of the new headquarters. I look forward to seeing pics of the inside when you're done setting up. You must be exhausted from all this. Take care of yourself and don't overdue it.

The "snacks" you cooked up look pretty darn good. I'm the same way with cooking when I'm nervous. There's something therapeutic about it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Place looks great Chris. Sure is a proud moment to hang your own shingle.

I take it you worked through the contract OK ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks. Not too late. The grill is stabilizing and I have only melted the butter, not added any syrup yet.

The building looks great !

On your cook - was the duck domestic or wild. It looks great - how did you prepare it? (Got a freezer with several wild duck breasts). :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks. Not too late. The grill is stabilizing and I have only melted the butter, not added any syrup yet.

The building looks great !

On your cook - was the duck domestic or wild. It looks great - how did you prepare it? (Got a freezer with several wild duck breasts). :woohoo:
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    Options
    We made the maple salmon tonight, too. It was fantastic! Didn't really get a crusty glaze, didn't cook it too long after applying the glaze because it was cold and a strong wind and we were hungry.... Anyway, great recipe.... What did you think?
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks bro. It's really strange, and very surreal right now. We're there for a year, and looking to build out another space to fit us better. Been working at home for 20 years, so this is a little nerve wracking, but exciting!
    Beers, and howdy to Sally.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Anne. yeah, I am pretty spent after making many trips over the weekend. Non stop, but I am getting stronger ;-)

Here is a pic of the inside before we started unloading. Much more vertical space than we need!

DPHQinside.jpg

Howdy to Del, and see you soon.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Rod.
    Yep, thanks for your help. I feel pretty good about the contract. They were hoping for a 3-5 year lease, but we snagged a 1 year deal for much less that they were asking. Got a free month, and got them to epoxy coat the floor. Plus I got most of the stuff in there that you helped me with....just to protect ourselves. But the landlord is happy as we are. It's all good, and I'm really glad you had the time to look at our lease before I threw down my john henry. Thanks mang!!

It feels good alright. Just really odd right now.
    Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks sir. It's great to have a place to call our own that is not our home. I really look forward to separating home/biz a little more after so long.

The duck? It was some froo froo duck breast from Wegmans. No idea if it was wild or not. But I do think it quacked once or twice in its heyday.

I rubbed the hell out of it with Tsunami, and grilled at 400+ on a raised grate. Maybe 10 minutes a side. Pulled when it was 140 and it went to 150 during the rest. The other parts of the duck I like to cook more, but the breast is awesome at a med-rare.

Oh yeah, I did cut slits in the skin to allow the fat to drip out. There was a lot of smoke from it, but it was righteous.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks.

Salmon turned out good. I let the temp get a little too high and it cooked on a elevated grid at about 300-325 dome. Didn't get a really crisp crust. Will try again soon and adjust the temps.

Do you think a short sear at higher temps (400) would crisp it up without burning the rub? Then finish at a lower temp, per the recipe?

Thanks for the duck details.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Don't be askeered of the direct fire. Yeah. 400 direct for 6 to 10 minutes a side, and you have a crust AND A moist interior.

Nighty night!!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Congratulations on your new digs Chris! I'll have to stop by and check out the new Dizzy Pig Factory in a month or so when you get set up.