Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie trex steaks

KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to try this method this weekend with my new medium , with strip steak. 1.5 thick cut today,
want to make sure i have the set up right. I have the cooking grate on top of the fire ring. Therefore the grill will be about 2 to 3 inches below the lid/ bottom interface. Any suggestion on temps for searing.

I like mine medium rare. My wife likes it med well. Do I add time to the sear, or seem like it would be the roast?
Thanks
seems alot like ribeyes, which are good I like strips

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    New medium? be careful you don't fry the gasket.
  • KcLeaf
    KcLeaf Posts: 62
    funny you should say that, i did two low cooks over the weekend and the gasket is already loose. called the place i purchased and they are sending nomex. don't know if it self adhesive or plain and then use 77.
    Current gasket, worked on it today. will do several low cooks after letting it set 24 hours or so. thought I might as well try a trex as long as don't screw up the meat.
    smarter minds than mine are on this forum, I do listen so if i am off base let me knwo.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sear should always be relatively the same. you are searing to your liking on the outside, then roasting until the internal is about 5 or 10 degrees below your desired temp.. let them rest, and they'll continue to cook on the plate, hitting your desired internal temp off of the grill.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante