Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect: Should I get just Fire Bricks, platesetter or both?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, I just got my egg and currently have no means to do an indirect cook... was wondering the pluses an minues of the plate setter versus fire bricks. Should I get one or the other or do both have their place in cooking on the egg. Just wondering.. [p]thanks

Comments

• Nardi,[p]I'd get the platesetter because inverted it is nice to be able to put a drip pan on it, then the grill on the legs and the meat on the grill directly over the drip pan. Upright with a pizza stone on top of it, the stone is at the right height for the opening.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Nardi,[p]Get a platesetter. Easier and more stable setup. I have firebricks and they work OKAY, but I've also used others' platesetters and like the functionality and ease much better.[p]My 2 cents.[p]TRex
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Nardi,
    I'd get both. The plate setter for the reasons RG and TRex gave. The fire bricks are cheap, and come in handy when you're using bamboo skewers to lift the food off the grate and keep the ends from burning.[p]Kelly

• Kelly Keefe,
    So where do I find them??? Fire Bricks that is.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Nardi,[p]People have said that "local brickyards" have them, but I couldn't find a local brickyard around here. I found mine at a fireplace store - the guy just yanked 6 of them out of one of those stand-alone fireplaces for me, said he would get more in to replace them.[p]TRex
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Nardi,
    I got mine at Lowes, but any place that sells (everyone avert their eyes now) gas grills should have something that would work. Mine are flat pieces of ceramic that replaces the lava rocks. They're about the size of your hand. I usually stack a couple of them on the grill.[p]Kelly

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Kelly Keefe,
    Amen to "both". I use both when I bake in my Eggs. The extra thermal mass creates a beautiful crunchy, crackly crust, 'specially on sourdough loaves.[p]Ken