Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on Cedar Planks

Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
salmon.jpg
<p />Turned out fantastic !
Brushed with olive oil, lemon pepper, cilantro, wasabi powder, and soy sauce. Pulled off @ 160 degrees.

Comments

• mark,
    those look great. .. a few questions for you. . .[p]1. how many cooks do you get out of one of those planks?
    2. looks like you did them direct. .. what was the egg temp for cooking?
    3. do you turn the fish, or just leave it skin side down on the plank for the whole cook. . .[p]i see those planks for sale all the time but have never bought them, and we do lots of salmon. . .might have to try it though..[p]thanks[p]max

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I'm to do salmon in a few hours, and have never tried it on the egg. Just me and my wife, have two filets, just under 1 lb total. Suggestions? No raging river rub on hand...Tony C's is about all I've got, was going to do that with some olive oil and lemon. Unsure whether to go direct or indirect, skin down the whole time or if they are to be flipped. Assuming about 300 degrees, pull at app. 140?

• RG,
    i do the filets all the time. . .direct at around 400 degrees... i usually start them skin down, flip once for about 5 minutes, then again to skin side down till done. . .make sure your grid is oiled though, and be real careful during the flipping, as they can break apart on you. .. until i discovered dizzy pig raging river and tsunami spin, i always did them simply covered in olive oil and with a healthy squirt of lemon juice during the cook... a real nice finish is to take some sour cream with a liberal dose of dill weed to taste and have that served on the side. . .it works great with the salmon. . .[p]also, and i just saw this yesterday on tv. . .somebody sliced up a lemon. ..laid the lemon slices direct on the grill, then laid the salmon filets on top of the lemon slices. . .made for much easier turning. ..i think i'd try starting on lemon slices for the first flip, but when i went back to turning them skin down, then put them direct on the grill till finished. .. at that point you won't care if you leave some of the skin stuck to the grate. . .[p]worth a try anyway. .. .[p]good luck and enjoy. . .[p]max