Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time Medium egg

KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
finally got my medium egg. first cook was chicken thighs and breasts, rubbed with The dizzy pigs tsunami spin. I can't believe how fast I got the egg to 350 F and then was able to hold it there. One hour thighs were done just right , breasts needed a little more. i have a bunch of questions, How do you know how much lump to use. I think i used to much. Used two little squares of the starter brick, probably an overkill. I was in such a hurry to get at it i misplaced the book that came with it, Gotta be here someplace. You just shut every thing down , to get it to go out right, ? the egg is just sitting there at 300 now. Any comments on anything would be appreciated spring is hear my egg hunt is over and ribs are the schedule for tomorrow, This thing is great.
I put the grill right on top of the fire ring. I think i have read were some of you place it higher or do indirect. I have a plate setter , will use with ribs tomorro. look forward to comments, correct me if i am off base thanks

Comments

• Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    I have the large but I just fill mine almost to the top of the fire box unless I do a low and slow then within an inch of the fire ring. As far as starters I use 2 and when done I put the ceramic cap back on and close the lower damper. It does take some time for the temp to go down.
  • KcLeaf
    thanks, i think i used to much but hey,
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    You sound just like me.. A rat on crack! :laugh: I was so excited when I got mine. Still am! ;) For most 3 hour or less cooks I fill lump up about 1/2 way up fire ring up to just under platesetter (legs up bottom resting on fire ring and grill on the 3 legs) for overnights. THis is how I recomend you set up for ribs also just don't put lump that high as it will not take overnight. As far as killing fire close bottom damper and put the crematic top back on. It will burn a long time with cast daisy wheel. Welcome. Your at the right place!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Check out this web site. Should help with most of your questions. Come back here and post all the other questions you have.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • JLOCKHART29
    One other thing. It seem that the medium does better with a majority of fresh lump. The smaller pieces tend to clog the air holes more than on the large. For things like chicken thighs I might not fill it up higher than fire box high or just a fuzz more.
  • KcLeaf
    thanks, just put the ceramic cap on what do you mean, about lump high and won't take over night.
    drip pan for the ribs, under rib rack?
  • KcLeaf
    thanks, just put the ceramic cap on what do you mean, about lump high and won't take over night.
    drip pan for the ribs, under rib rack?
  • JLOCKHART29
    Yea to kill the fire just close the bottom slide vent and put the green crematic cap on the top of the Egg.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=542196&catid=1
    I used a extended grill to do the peppers but you can see. I just wrap my platesetter in foil and remove after cooking. Saves a big mess. With ribs a drip pan by self never catches it all ;)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Regarding starting, I also use the firestarting blocks. I found for low and slow, one cube is fine. (I usually use the grill tool to seperate the cube into two thinner pieces.) For hot fires, I use two cubes (again split, so 4 cubes) so I can get it raging faster.

Once I run out of starter cubes, I will probably switch to MAPP, and touch more places for hotter fires.
  • Piper
    Piper Posts: 1
    I have had my XL BGE for about a year now, and I love it more every day! I used to use the fire starter cubes, but I now just cruple up a sheet of newspaper and drizzel a little olive oil on it, then put it under a full chimney starter. It works great and is real fast.