Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken presentation question

Options
BGE Pit Crew
BGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi ya'll,

has anyone entered a beer can chicken competition in the past, and if so, how did you serve it to the judges (whole, split, peices, sliced, etc...). Thanks for any help. Keep smokin, Dana

Comments

• Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't know about all competitions, but in the KCBS each judge has to get his own separate piece of chicken. If a judge picks up his piece and another piece sticks to it, he has to keep both pieces. That means one judge won't get a piece and he can't make a score. You can try to cut it and make it look right i guess, but good luck. I would never be able to do it. I brine thighs. The brine has a similar effect as the beer can.
  • devmode
    devmode Posts: 68
    Options
    Actually I have seen a couple of "experiments" where people have tested the affects of the "beer can" method and have found no difference in moisture or taste.

... I'm just sayin'
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    Thanks Keving,

it is a FBA competition, but the beer can chicken is just an ancilary competetion on Friday night before the official competition. It's not anything special, but I woul like to give it my all. I am guessing I would need eight identifull pieces for the judges, but not sure how I could do it, I guess I could serve each drummie (2), thigh (2), breast (2) wings (2) = eight. I will ask at the cooks meeting on Friday, but wanted to practice this weekend. Thanks and keep smokin, Dana
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'd ask if there is a rule or standard....if not, remember the more you cut the worse it will look. I'd probably only cut it if one side or part looked bad or something. Cutting it will dry it out faster too. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    This way may work for you...

chickenboob.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    :laugh:
    don't know whether to laugh or turn away :unsure:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap