Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help me light my egg?

Options
Jail egger
Jail egger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the fist year with my egg I used the paper towel and oil trick. Now I am using a charcoal chimney. Not happy with either method. Is the mapp torch really the way to go?
How long does it take using a mapp?
Where can I buy one and what do I look for?
Is there any linked sites out there that discuss egg lighting?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I use 2 fire starter cubes from BGE. They work great. I place one in the back and one in the front. I just found a local dealer that sells a cheaper brand of starter. Good luck to all. Tom
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mapp torch and weed burner work great. With the weed burner you can get to 600 in less than 5 min. but tends to overlight if your going for low temps. This one was $26 at harbor freight.

101_2011.jpg
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    MAPP torch is FAST! :ohmy: :ohmy: It takes a total of about 2 minutes lighting it in four different locations.

I have the torch with the tube leading from the MAPP canister to the lighting wand. I got it at OSH here in CA but it should be available at any good hardware store.
  • Jail egger
    Options
    Thanks for the help, if I am doing low and slow how do I approach that with a torch?
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    I also use the cubes and have tried the napkin oil method but found it was a little messy for me

Hey bajatom, what brand cubes did you find.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The Mapp or cubes would be better for low temps. My dealer makes his own starters and they work better than the webbers or others I've tried. Biggest mistake most make with the oil and napkin is using too much oil.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    You can get them at Home Depot get the one that has a 2-3ft.flex tubing.

Ross
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    $9 at the home depot--light in 3 or 4 spots, 500F in about 5 min. I kept burning up my electric starters and went with this about 6 mos ago.

ctredwell
    go dawgs

lite.jpg
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You won't get the egg too hot with a mapp torch, but you can with the weed burner, it is basically a flame thrower. A mapp torch head can also use the cheaper propane tanks, but I think propane will not stay lit when the torch is upside down. I can't speak from experience because I only use mapp gas. For a low and slow I just light the egg in one spot, for about 30 seconds and then let the egg come up to temp. You can find them at Lowe's and I think at Home Depot for about $35. I have tried the electric starter method, charcoal chimney, cubes, and paper towel and oil, and mapp is number one by a mile. I doubt any one still sells the old style, but make sure to get one with the push button trigger start (as opposed to the ones where you crank a knob open, the use a spark to light up, then have to turn the knob several turns to turn it off).
  • Jail egger
    Options
    So I am guessing you just pile charcoal in and light in a couple areas, do you leave the vent and wheel open or do you close it off right away?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ...shouldn't be messy. if the oil drips, there's too much oil. mine are twisted tight and they don't drip. i think folks are using way too much oil, FWIW.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i have no problems with low and slows and lighting with a weedburner, i just catch the temp on the way up the same way i would for any other lighting method. i also can set up with a minimal amount of lump for direct low and slows with only a couple inches max in the egg and cook ribs for 6 or 7 hours direct with a raised grill with the weedburner, it would be difficult to light this setup any other way. with the weed burner you dont have to pull the triggeer for max btu's, you can lower the flame down and light the lump. i also like having the gas pig around for my open burner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    or not enough napkin
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hahaha

i dunno.
    with fresh lump, i literally have a crackling fire within moments of tossing them in. i bridge across gaps and force the fire to find its way out... and the fire just grows like crazy.

it takes a little balance. a napkin alone snuffs out and leaves ash. the oil alone is messy and i'm not sure it would even light. basically the two together are a candle wick. bright big flame. ah well.

everyone's got their own method. i just think folks are of the mind that if a little oil is good, a lot might be better. and it isn't
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The only way to fly.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    about those mapp torches, try and find one with the hose. ive had two regular mapp torches catch fire, im sure someday someone will post about loosing a hand when one exploded. with the weedburner its important to wear eyeprotection and a hat because there will be sparks flying at times
    fukahwee maine

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    When you had a tank catch fire did you have the trigger locked and had the torch sitting in the egg? I can't imagine holding it where the tip of the flame is licking the lump and have a problem. Of course, if there is a leak I can see where that would happen. Plus, when you have an egg full of unlit charcoal and you are using the torch, that is not much different than using a torch to melt solder for a plumbing fixture. My guess is when you have a fire going well and are still using the torch is where you can run into problems.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    could be that the wicked comp blend takes longer to light, there are o rings and plastic parts in the head and once they melt the torch is more like a lit bomb. and i can see someone someday placing that torch in the egg and walk away. i hear people drink and play with fire :laugh: i know ive seen one with a hose, seems safer to me.
    fukahwee maine

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    My weedburner is shaped like a cane. Its a long metal pipe, a mini can of propane screws onto one end, the flame comes out the other. I stand far enough away to be safe, and have complete control.