Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT)Need DSLR advice

"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to get a new camera,but don't know much about them :blush: Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I found this on Amazon,does it sound like a good deal to you?Any other recommendations?Thanks ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KAJX7A/ref=s9_sdps_c2_s1_p114_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=146B61BS5Y2QQXSGWMW4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Don't know much about that version, but we have a canon digital rebel and the wife LOVES it!
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    I'm a Nikon user. Just bought a D90 a few months back and absolutely love it.

Do a little reading here: http://www.dpreview.com/
    here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/ and here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/ and then just pull the trigger if you think that sounds like it will fit your needs.

Price on that is "OK" but not a real steal from what I can tell. Google the items and see what they go for separately. I think those lenses are < $200 range.
  • "Sparky"
    Thank you,I'm gonna read trough those links more thoroughly.I'm just trying to get the most camera for the money :) I will look into the Nikons ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Doug,

I love the Nikon bodies and their glass is terrific. You can't go wrong with the Canons either. Both brands are absolutely great.

Costco usually has some amazing bargains on them. If you want me to look around let me know - I can pick one up there for you if you don't have a membership.

The D60 is a very good choice for a lower cost model.
  • "Sparky"
    Thanks a bunch Fidel for your offline help.I will be looking at all the options.I may become a Costco member for that Nikon :whistle:;)
  • bitslammer
    That's where I got my D90..Costco! Can't go wrong there.

Check what Ken Rockwell has to say about the D60. He actually recommends going up to the D90 or staying with the D40.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

I was leaning to the D60 but this gave me the "excuse" to spend a little more.
  • "Sparky"
    Yea,that's what I was reading.He seems to know his cameras.I'll be looking at the D40's also :woohoo: Thanks again for the links ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    JEEEZ, SPARKY! I coulda edjacated you while we were freezin' our butts off at Ft. Bragg! Dang, I had a whole freakin' camera store with me and you coulda tried before you buy'd. Oh well.....

Just my opinion, but I'd look at Fred Miranda and DPReview websites. Steve at Steve's Digicams has never met a digital camera that he doesn't love, and Ken Rockwell is (again in my humble opinion) an idiot. He has admitted he posts outrageous nonsense simply to drive traffic = money. So, you never know when he is serious or just full of it.

Anyway, good luck and if you have questions about Canon, shoot me an email.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I have always been partial to Cannon but have Nikon and Yashica as well. We have a Cannon (Rebel)XSI that takes amazing pictures and I am about to purchase the 5D mark II for my business. The XSI is a great camera for the money and you can pick one up for 500-600 bucks The 5D Mark II is 2000-2500 but a lot more camera. If you are just using it for general use I would go with the XSI. The Mark is getting into the professional line up but has more capabilities. Here are a few links that I use.
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?Sterm=adorama

http://www.cameta.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/6222/Digital_Cameras_SLR_Digital_Cameras.html
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    i have the sony DSLR-A700 and very happy with it! don't know how to run it as it should but it sure does take some nice pics!! keep saying i am gonna need to go take a course or something to learn the potential this camera has!!
  • "Sparky"
    Thanks Eddie,I will read through these links as well :pinch: :lol: I'm really just learning,so I appriciate your help ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've got a Cannon Rebel XT, I like it. -RP
  • "Sparky"
    Hey Whiz,thanks for your(obviously)honest opinion :lol: I've had good luck with Canon soo far,but am not brand loyal,after all,it's not a ceramic cooker :lol: :laugh: I really wish that I asked more questions though :whistle: It was just so freakin cold :P I will read the DPReview and Fred Miranda,but I'm still just looking for a "package deal",so I don't need to but a $350 lens next week.I would rather buy it all now.Thanks again ;)
  • "Sparky"
    Hey Mike,when you figure all this stuff out,let me know Eh? :lol: I still use a camera the size of a pack of cigarettes :blush:
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    If you are serious about your photo's go ahead and get the Cannon XSI digital Rebel, it come with a really nice IS lens. I have had several digital cameras because i didnt think i could afford the real deal. then after all else failed i purchased the Cannon DSLR and like the BGE i havent been sorry.
    Good luck
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I forgot to tell you that i got two from buydig.com. one for me and one for my daughter. I dont know how to send a link.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Sparky,

I'm just curious why the DSLR? There are cameras like the Canon S10 IS for a whole lot less money that can do just about anything but walk the dog. Are you going to be using it for commercial work?

Just curious.

Gator
  • "Sparky"
    Hey Gator,I haven't looked into those,but I like to take sports pics(of my son),and wildlife pics(also of my son) :lol: .I really want the ability to change lenses for different stuff.I also like to catch a pics of the elusive "perfect steak" :lol: I just want a camera that can do it all.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Doug,

I just bought that camera, it has great ratings. As you may or may not know the working part of a slr is the lens. Either canon or nikon would be a good choice. I look for longevity and user friendly when shoping for a camera. Bells and whistles don't mean much to me. My advise is to go with at least the Xsi in the canon or D90 in nikon. They are the most up to date without breaking the bank.
  • Make sure there are plenty of pictures in the manual. LOL.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Doug,

I bought at Nikon D80 in 2007 with a 18-200 mm zoom lens and have used them for still pix, sports (shot a rodeo with great action pics) and use the combo to shoot my BGE pics. I AM looking into a add-on close up lens or a macro to get better close up food shots (and flowers, etc).

I love my DSLR and wouldn't go back to film. It is SOOOOO fast. Milliseconds to be on and ready to shoot and essentially no delay between shots.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you:

1) Buy a neutral filter to keep the front of your lens protected (cheaper to replace that a scratched lens).
    2) Make sure your lens is 'vibration resistant' - various names, but canon and Nikon have this in their higher end lenses.
    3) Get a FAST memory card - with LOTS of memory.

Good luck and let us know you buy.

Geez, more thunder! Tornados missed us last night by 2-3 miles. More storms coming tonight!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Sparky,

I was trained in professional photography back when film was king and if I was going to buy a camera today, which I might, I would take a hard, long look at the Canon SX10 IS.
    Here are a few photos, all were shot with point and shoot cameras. The first two of my Colt Pythons was shot here on my desk with a little Nikon CoolPix P5100. I can also mount this little camera on my Nikon spotting scope for a lens over 1200mm at up to 12 mega pixels. A photo that size, 4000X3000 is huge and takes up about 4 meg of storage space and is way to large to even think about printing. The mega pixels are nice to have but are not the answer to everything, I typically use something much smaller, especially if I know it is going to the forum.
    The Barred Owl was shot with my old Canon S3 IS in a very dark Cypress swamp with very bright back lighting (the sky). There was a girl next to me with a Canon DSLR, a very nice camera, that did not get the shot because she did not have her camera set right. I had made one simple adjustment of setting my meter to center spot mode so it read the exposure off the owl and not the sky and got the shot.
    Colt_Pythons.jpg
    Colt_Target.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    I'm not trying to talk you out of a DSLR, I am just not convinced they are necessary or that you need to carry all the gear. The Canon SX10 IS lens is a 20X, I think thats equivalent to 28mm (wide angle) to 560mm telephoto (extreme telephoto)and it will focus from 0' (yup, zero feet) to infinity. I'm not going to get into all the features here, I just want to see you happy with what ever camera you buy. I use the Canon SX10 IS as an example, it is what I have looked at. What ever you get, a good class will help eliminate much of the frustration with these new super cameras and make it a lot more fun.

Good luck,

Gator
  • I have a Nikon D60 Doug and love it!!

Ross
  • bitslammer
    So as you can see there's never a "right" answer to this dilemma, but wow people had some great advice.

The one thing that hit me was the the advice to buy the $10 clear screw on filters for your lenses. Twice in my life that $10 filter saved a >$500 lenses from being trashed.

As for the other things I guess you need to know what your going to use the camera for. Shooting mainly portraits, or cook shots, then VR (vibration reduction) may not be a big deal, if you're going to do action though it can really help. For me I wanted to do nice food shots, landscapes, macros, and occasional sport/action stuff, so I made sure I had the basics and all I need to do now is possibly buy a few new lenses as my skills and needs progress.

While I agree that the package has appeal in that you get a nice "kit" you may find later that you'd like to upgrade or use different lenses.
    I went out just 1 week after buying my D90 and bought 17-50/f2.8 lense even though my D90 came with a very good Nikon 18-55/f3.5. The reason? The difference between 17mm and 18mm is noticeable. Nice wider view and with the f2.8 aperture I get a lot more light into the camera. Now my 18-55 is setup with either an extension ring or a marco filter for real close up work. Some day I might buy a nice macro lens or a reversing ring.

My point is just try and plan for what you will be doing and make sure you will really use what's in that package. If not you'll be buying more and possibly leaving some of that on the shelf. Of course there's always Craig's List to turn unneeded stuff into $$$$. Photo gear sells well.
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    If you want a filter to protect your lens, you want a UV filter, not a neutral density filter. The neutral density filter will reduce the amount of light going into your lens. That's what they're intended for.

The use of a filter is greatly debated. Personally, I use lens hoods instead of filters for almost all my lenses. I don't see any problem with people using filters though.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Good advice here.

Another point is that I personally avoid the 18-200mm lens. I prefer having two, an 18-55 and a 55-200. Both are VR and both are fast, but I find the 18-200 pretty heavy to carry around, and you really don't need that 55-200 range often enough to make it an everyday lens.

I'm looking right now at a Nikon 50mm fixed f/1.8 for most of my food shots. The 1.8 should allow for some super light to get in, which means very sharp pictures with deep contrast. The price is right, just trying to justify it.

I also want to add (at some point) a 14-24mm f/2.8. Probably the best all around lens for still shots, but I can't justify the money -- it costs more than double what the camera body cost.

The glass is, in reality, what makes good photos into great photos. The right lens just makes a good photo that much better.
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    I haven't read all the posts... I personally use Nikon, specifically a D200, and bought in a similar package with an 18-200 lens... which I might say is good but heavy on my and on the camera... its not good (visually and technically) to have so varying focal distances lenses... its better to have 2 or 3 in that range...

I wouldn't buy a package that includes so many "gimmicks" additional from the camera and lens...

As an amateur photographer who has done some professional jobs and have professional photographers as friends, I would tell you that the best thing is to buy the body and the lenses separate... and if it is your first body/lense, beware of the brand you chose because you will be stuck with it for a while...

It all really depends on if you have lenses already and all, and of course personal preference, as I said before, I prefer Nikon...

For a protective filter, use a UV filter...

My 2c

cheers!!
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Well it looks like a pretty good kit. I know Canon and Nikon users are brand loyal. Hubby has a Nikon D80 and I have a Sony A700. Both take pretty good pictures.

I was told that most of the DSLR's are pretty comparable anymore, until you get into pro stuff then they are Canon all the way.

I use my 18-200 lens more than the others, so it's a good lens for me.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    I have a NikonD80 and it ends up on auto so I should have just got a decentcompact. I have some lenses ( leftovers from film days ) which made me choose Nikon, but the space moves so quickly. I get size/weight envy over the newer lenses and bodies.
    If I started again I'd go canon (compact?)