Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
guys please help!
I'm trying to get this steak searing (sp) down.
i'm usually cooking two 7 oz filets on the egg, but have trouble getting it just right the first time. what i've heard is to get the heat up to about 700f to 800. cook on each side a couple of minutes then close everything for about 5 to 8 min. for a med to rare steak. what i usually get is a very rare middle. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    the egger,
    try this (this is more in tune with the trex method). . .first, make sure the egg is at 700 for a few minutes so that you are searing in real 700 degree heat and not just on flame (you coals should all be red hot lava) . . do your sear at 700+ for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per side. ..then pull the steaks out and let them rest on an open plate for about twenty minutes while you let the egg cool to around 400 degrees. . .then do the dwell in the sealed up egg for about 5 minutes per side (if the filets are around 2" thick this should get you right around medium rare through out, nice and pinkish/red, but not purple. . .its been working great for me. ..[p]good luck [p]max

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    the egger,
    What happens if you leave it in longer? If the center isn't done, cook it longer. If that results in an outside that is too charred, reduce the sear a tad and increase the dwell. Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BubbaGump
    BubbaGump Posts: 39
    Options
    the egger,[p]I've only tried this once on my large and will be doing it again this weekend. But, here's what I did the first time and got a medium rare to medium outcome. Egg up to 750ish, not sure exactly b/c my therm was out of calibration. I threw my 1 1/4 inch NY Strips on for exactly 2 minutes and flipped. After 2 minutes on side 2, I closed the top and bottom vents and let it go exactly 5 minutes before flipping back over. Let cook another 5. Although my steak wasn't a dark brown outside like I'm used to seeing in steakhouses and on my gasser, the tenderness and doneness was just like I wanted...medium rare to medium. [p]What size is your grill? Mine's a large and maybe it holds a the temp longer than something like a mini or small when you open to flip??? Just a thought.[p]I posted below a link to the TRex method of eggin' a steak that everbody swears by. It's what I'm trying this weekend.[p]Good luck!
    Buster

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BubbaGump,
    If you like a really good sear, then throw the steaks directly onto the red hot coals for the sear. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BubbaGump
    BubbaGump Posts: 39
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yep, I believe that would be one way to darken it up![p]Thanks!
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    The Whiz has it covered, and I agree 100% with 90% of what he said.[p]I have a medium, and just chant the mantra "4, 4, 3". Keeping the fire ring on, I go to 700, throw in the steaks, keep everything wide open and sear for 4 minutes. Open, flip the steaks, leave wide open and sear the other side for another 4 minutes. Then, close down ALL the air, top and bottom, and let the steaks dwell for 3 minutes (medium-rare) or 5 minutes (medium-well). Works every time for 2" steaks. Modify proportionally less for less think steaks.[p]Bob V
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    the egger,
    I do fillet's that are 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick on my medium using the grill extender. I cook at about 550°, 3 to 4 min per side then close the bottom vent only and dwell approx. 3 min.[p]If it's too rare I just put it back in for a bit. My steaks are always moist. Keep trying till you find the length of time that works for you.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob