Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Assist on XL

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever figured out how to adjust the Springs on the XL so that the lid closes properly? I have had my springs off for a while bc it wouldnt let the back close all the way. Just put a new gasket on and while I was resetting the bands decided to try the springs again. Still no luck. Would be nice to get the springs back on so the wife could lift and lower the lid a bit easier.

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    When I replaced the gasket on my XL, I didn't take the bands off, I removed the springs, and unscrewed the hinge connections. When I put it back together, I tightened the hinge bolts and then backed them off until they were just the slightest bit loose. This let the back of the dome seat properly. Hope this helps.

Gordon
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you have but a year or so ago BGE offered some updated brackets for the XL spring assist which pretty much eliminated any gap problems...may want to look into what you have and what they ( BGE ) have to offer..
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Thanks Wess..didnt know that they had changed the brackets that would be my problem I am sure. My XL is over 2 years old.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    One of the newer brackets has a slot instead of a hole...makes a world of difference..I also went for some time with the springs off..and it as amazing how much heavier the dome is without them, although originally I had the no spring version and the springs are amazing..