Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POLL how many still need a gasket?

Options
Eggbert
Eggbert Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Ceramic egg for so long now, I forget how old it is. { it has the seam in it accross the top} I am one of the first to get the ceramic ones, my clay egg [ bought in 1986 ] cracked bigtime after a 1000 dgree mishap.....oops! But I have built up somuch natural soot, it seals itself, there is no gasket left, am I the only one who has noticed this?

Comments

• Eggbert
    Eggbert Posts: 8
    Options
    forget to subscribe
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I haven't had a gasket on my large BGE in over a year. I think it seals better now that it ever did. ;)
    If you fit the dome to the base poperly you really don't need the gasket. Just my 2 cents. ;)B)
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I think mine may be doing the soot build up as well. It seems to be leaking alot less smoke.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pretty open question.

I would guess it depends on the user. When I first got my first egg I needed a gasket because the gasket was on the egg and it looked nice. I wanted my egg to look nice and felt it should have a 'usable gasket'.

2 years ago I was told over and over again not to be worried about gaskets they aren't necessary. I bought and expensive egg and I want a new looking gasket - feet stomping and a sour looking face.

After some time, more and more I began to join the side that says gaskets are not all that important.

I wouldn't cook for long with no gasket but my large gasket is pretty much shot and now I am in no hurry to get it changed out.

GG
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I bought my egg right at a year ago. Yesterday I did ribs and I had one heck of a time trying to keep it under 260. I like 230 to 240 for ribs. I started with my guru going good at 240 stabled (I thought) . Smoke has coming out everywhere. After about a hour of cooking it was up to 286. I ended up shutting the wheel all the way (started with just the vents open) And eventually got back down to 260 but never below. My gasket is very worn and I have adjusted the lid to get a better seal. I have a new gasket and planning on installing it soon.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I haven't had any significant gasket on my Egg for almost two years, and I don't miss it a bit.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You should still be able to lower temperatures unless your dome & base are really out of alignment.

If you are using the guru you need to shut down the fan slide more. When the fan is in the off mode air will still pass through the guru fan.

The air that feeds the lump mostly comes from below and generally will not 'suck' in through the DFMT or the gasket area. If you have a q2 and it is running below 30% or so then the slider is too far open. I am not sure of the old guru has a percent run time.

You may need to shut the DFMT slider and the petals fully closed as enough air may flow out the gasket.

My large gasket is now like a sive and leaks bad, however, with the q2 I can maintain 150° at grate and probably lower. I just pay close attention to the slider on my 10cmf (viper) fan.

GG