Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cooking a turkey on the BGE

Options
the Fat Man
the Fat Man Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Looking for assistance from the esteemed group on the basics of cooking a turkey with the BGE...

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hey Fat Man, Look in the archives for November 6, 2001. I have two posts, TALKIN' TURKEY and A FABLOUS BRINE RECIPE that cover it all. They are about my preparing for a Michigan Outdoor Turkey Cooking Competition (which I won). [p]Bone appetit! JCA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    the Fat Man, I always follow the rule of thumb of 20 minutes per pound at 325° dome temp and cook indirect. Shoot for 165° breast/185° thigh. Personal taste, but I go light to no smoke as turkey absorbs it quite easliy. Yhe other issue is to brine or not to brine. That addes time to the prep and we like it both ways. Nowaday most of the birds are injected, so since you just asked for basics there you go. BTW I have even brined a ButterBall with noticeable success. Good luck!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Hey Mrs. dog. I just bought a case of your disappearing mustard, because, well, it disappears so fast. [p]
  • the Fat Man
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the assistance....We just partnered with the BGE folks late last week. We do a radio cooking, restaurant review, wine and cigar show every Sat. pm for 2 hours. The Chef found the BGE in research and the home office is here so we contacted them and did our first on-air cooking with BGE yesterday. Still lots to learn and this web site is great for assistance.

• the Fat Man
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for the assistance! We do a two hour cooking show every sat on radio here in Atlanta. The Chef found the BGE through his research and we went to the home "nest" last Thursday and cooked with our new BGE yesterday on the air for the first time. We need all the assistance we can get from "know it eggs".

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    the Fat Man,
    If you want "the basics", remember that roasting a turkey or any other piece of meat in the BGE is going to be a lot like roasting it in your oven. I do my turkeys just like I do them in the oven as far as time and temp go. I do use smoke, because I'm a smoke slut, er, lover. But not too much. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • the Fat Man
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the help....We have taken on the BGE as a new sponsor for our cooking, restaurant review, cigar and wine show that airs in Atlanta every Sat for 2 hours...Any hints and ideas you pass along will be greatly appreciated....www.chefandthefatman.com[p]the Fat Man