Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First good cook

JackBurton
JackBurton Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After my "buyers remorse" post I got a lot of responses and emails. I did a bunch of searching through old threads and today I had a decent cook. I'm still having trouble getting rid of the bad smoke. After 30 minutes there was still a bit coming out of the egg....anyway...

I rubbed some pork steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder. When I finally got the egg to 300 I direct grilled each side for 10 minutes. Then I put the steaks in a pan with Maull's sauce and a little water. Kept them on at 300 for 90 minutes to let them simmer. Here's the result.

1stgoodcook.jpg

They were pretty good. This is the first time I've done a slow cook for this long. I had a hard time getting the temp steady, but once I did it stayed dead on. I had the top closed with the daisy wheel open and the bottom vent maybe at 1/2 inch. Temp had fallen a little at the end but only to about 285. The wife loved them. She was getting tired of my bad egg mood so she was pretty happy too.

For all my adult life I've been "fiddling" with my food on the grill. I need to learn to leave it alone. I kept wanting to mess with it. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and help. Seems like this is my first step! And don't mind the ugly yellow countertops. We just bought the house last May and haven't tackled the kitchen yet.

Comments

• SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Atta boy. Keep plugging away.

The temperature thing takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you will be amazed. I do not have a BBQ guru or any other sort of controller and have done several all-night cooks. The Egg can hold a temp for hours- like 12-18 hours.

Have fun.
  • That buyers remorse will die fast especially after you start cooking alot. I did notice a taste difference after the first few cooks. It got better and better. seems to season a bit. Enjoy it and make it worth it. Nice looking first time. :laugh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    who cares about the countertops what matters is what feeds the family off of them!!!!

looks great great pictures!!! if you spend some more time around here you wife will think you are crazy!!!

and if she likes what you learn from this site she may also become a egger!!! it can really get bad my wife got it almost as bad as i do...

here is a picture that a really good friend of mine (that i met here) took
    parkerbente.jpg

that is a picture of my wife holding our 3 week old daughter at eggtoberfest.. that is how much my wife thinks of what the egg can do for your family...

so to sum it up

1 you will get more used to your egg and so will your family!!!

2 expectations of your friends will grow!!!

3 and max was wanting a dirty picture of my wife ;)

if you can accept those kind of things welcome to the world of the egg i hope you have room for more eggs :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Today I did a two egg cook.... I started a 71lb boston butt on my egg at 5pm CST and I cooked chicken breasts on the small for dinner. I looked at www.nakedwhiz.com to learn about the egg. Before my Large Egg purchase in Sept. O6 I never once ever did an overnight cook EVER :( I had a W*B*R Silver Gen*sis gas grill. Thanks to the Whiz website and this forum and Dr. BBQ "Ray Lampe" cookbooks I have arrived. I follow the advice I get from here and can even make my own rubs at home and they taste good courtesy of Dr. BBQ books. www.drbbq.com If you can spring for a Thermapen and a remote thermometer like a Maverick you will be able to master food real quickly :whistle: look at me :blush: I honestly can say that the Eggs I have are my best investments for a family of five :silly:

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Those look great.

Don't worry about the counter tops, I have the 1970s Brady Bunch 2X2 Mint green tiles in my kitchen. I'm just living with it until we redo it. At least it's almost paid for.

AbitaAbbeyAle.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    bente wasn't that the girl I saw standing at the door to your yard?

It is amazing how fast time passes and how big kids get.

Get working on things, you need more.

GG
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    no more we are both too old!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great job Jack!
    It'll get easier to hone in on the temps. Remember the learning curve.
    Keep up the good pics.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    the answer to ugly yellow counter tops is to buy a boardsmith board for background for your cooks and save the money it would cost to replace them to buy mores eggs and eggcessories ,, works for me :laugh: :laugh:

march023.jpg

march061.jpg

march136.jpg

glad to see you had a happy cook,, stick with it.. egg has made me a better cook and the forum has expanded my repetiore .. your family will come to love the egg,,
    "dad these steaks are better than mortons"
    "if you are going to boil he aspargus, don't bother! we won't eat it, can't you fire up the mini?"
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    good lookin cook Jack..hang in there...you're gettin it..maybe give that smoke another 15-30 mins... sometimes my egg clears up right away and sometimes it takes an hour...go figure B)
  • re: smoke-
    Sometimes it's just the batch of lump is smokier.
    There is pretty much always a hint of smoke flavoring the food. I had a batch of lump that was still smoking after an hour one time.

some foods are more "sensitive" to smoke like breads, pies, Pizzas. chicken is too. Pork- not so much.

Cowboy brand lump tends to burn cleaner but also hotter and a little faster.

If you or your wife are sensitive to too much smoke flavor, try using Cowboy or try cooking indirect.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    What brand of lump are you using?
  • Poodlemom
    Poodlemom Posts: 85
    Anybody have orange counter tops? No, I'm not a Vols fan. We bought the house in spite of the counter tops, no plans of replacing them. Now I just consider them unique.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Pharmeggist wrote:
    ....Today I did a two egg cook.... I started a 71lb boston butt on my egg at 5pm CST ........

A 71 lb Boston Butt ?? Holy Smokes..... :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    When I cooked my butts Friday night the household mantra came straight from Elder Woods recipe. "Keep it shut stupid." I did not open that thing for over 16 hours. It was hard at times, cuz I like to look at and mess with my food on the grill too!
  • Good job Jack, looks great!

Ross
  • Golfnut wrote:
    What brand of lump are you using?

right now I have the original BGE lump that I bought with the grill. I'll try some others when the time comes. I'll look for Cowboy.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Ozark Oak also is very mild and clears quickly.
    BGE and Royal Oak are two we avoid.